1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning SI Sportsman (Moneymaker) of The Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 15, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Shoulda been Federer, then. Anytime. Guy made 91 percent of his $71 million last year from endorsements.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Compare sponsorships inside the U.S. Sports Illustrated has no interest in most of the companies who have endorsement deals with Federer, except Nike, for whom tennis is kind of an afterthought. As far as I can remember, the only two tennis players who've won the award are Billie Jean King and Arthur Ashe, and that was for social significance more than anything else.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I mentions this every Sportsman of the Year thread, but my favorite is Mary Decker from 1983, just because of the backstory explained by Michael MacCambridge in The Franchise (and another plug for that superb book). Martina Navratilova lost one singles match in '83. Moses Malone led the Sixers to the title. Carl Lewis and Edwin Moses dominated. But, MacCambridge wrote, Gil Rogin had an "infatuation (some called it an obsession) with Decker and was entranced watching her run, watching her move." So Mary Decker got the award.

Hard to believe Bird and Magic never won it. Joe Pa got it in '86, Bird's greatest year, and "Athletes Who Care" got it in '87 in Magic's best season.

And Maris not getting it in '61...Fargo weeps.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Small Town Guy is Popeye.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've always been tickeled by the Gerald Ford SOY. Imagine
    a politician getting SOY in this climate.
    It might generate more cancellations than the swim suit issue.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Jan Wenner ran SI, Obama would have won Sportsman of the Year at least three times by now... :D

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He would not have beaten out Dzokhar Tsarnaev this year.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True, because it's impossible to make Obama look like he's a member of One Direction. :D

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Chris Evert in '76

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're right, Dan. I forgot. Maybe Rogin had a crush on her, too.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet Bonnie Blair and Johan Olav Koss made SI a ton of revenue the
    year that they won

Draft saved Draft deleted