1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning should retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are more rational opinions about Donald Trump on this board than there are about Peyton Manning. Ten years ago, his stats were meaningless because he was a choking playoff loser. Now, his playoff wins are meaningless because look at his stats.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Said writers ARE full of shit.

He played well today, in ways you aren't able to grasp.

More to the point though -- those writers (and many others) opined loudly that he wasn't fit to be on an NFL field. Some said he shouldn't even bother to stick around for the rest of the season. He is now going to go to the Super Bowl.

I hope every one of those writers is hounded into a "boy was I an idiot" column.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

HE totally is the reason they are going to the Super Bowl.

4. LongTimeListener

JC you normally aren't this off the point.

JC likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nor are you.

I may have to reavulate my position here.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

JC is right. And that's not an insult to Manning, no matter how much LTL, Gee and others want to combat persecution.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess my point being is we are lauding an all timer for not losing a game instead of winning one. I'm fine with that, but he's list plenty of games where's he's played a thousands times better.

God damn I'm usually the one defending Manning.

8. LongTimeListener

Manning is playing a role similar to Elway's when they finally broke through -- drive the bus and don't drive it off the road. There is a great deal to be said for that in the postseason. Today Manning didn't turn the ball over; as Gee noted, he allowed Denver to play from ahead the whole game.

The idea that his was some kind of ho-hum performance that anyone could have turned is one of the crazier opinions I've heard about the NFL in a long time.

Stoney likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm fine with that, and I agree, but the winners win crowd are saying what if they lose in OT?

10. LongTimeListener

Well, they didn't. I imagine in that hypothetical though, talk turns to how Brady overcame it, and the stats crowd looks at his numbers and says he sucked.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And Manning choked again.

Amazing what a defense that hits Brady 23 times can do for a game manager.

I wonder if indy's defense did that if the Colts might have won another one

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jesus, what a bizarre thread.

A) Manning should retire. His passes now look like they have little parachutes attached to them. There was a serious question as to whether they'd be better off with Brock Fucking Osweiler. Manning has had a phenomenal career, and win or lose in the Super Bowl, this is how he should go out. Seriously, no one should have to watch a one-year-older version of this.

B) Manning played a very, very good game. His short passes were slower than hell and wobbly, but on target to open receivers. He played solidly within his limitations. He did everything you could reasonably hope for. He didn't make mistakes. It was enough, because the Denver Broncos have a tremendous defense -- and the defense is the reason they are in the Super Bowl.

I mean, we can act like Manning making it to the Super Bowl is proof that he's still wonderful, but he's not. He's a very smart QB with a body that no longer functions. That was good enough today, and he deserves a ton of credit for that. But another season from Manning would be Namath-with-the-Rams territory.

murphyc, jr/shotglass and JC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted