1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning, PED user?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 26, 2015.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Exactly, and Braun and Armstrong are pariahs now. If Manning acted like that and he did it, and it comes out, he's toast.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really doubt Manning used banned substances. And even if he did, I'm sure he would have found a loophole to use them legally. The guy makes too much in endorsements to risk that. Still odd he's all hot and bothered about the accusations. Why not just say he didn't use them and the reason nobody will come forward and say he did is because he didn't?.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

HGH use by any player during lockout may not have been violation of NFL rules

"Ari Fleischer, hired P.R. gun for Peyton Manning, has pointed out that Manning never failed a drug test for HGH. This claim overlooks the reality that the NFL didn’t test for HGH until September 2014.

Prior to that, all players were on the honor system. And with various players suggesting over the years both on and off the record that plenty of players were using HGH, it would be easy for someone to rationalize using it, based on the notion that plenty of the other players on the field used it, too."

How much does this sound like Lance Armstrong trumpeting that he had never failed a PED test?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning is so pretty when he's angry.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

James Harrison's denial was better.

"What's the word I'm looking for? Bullshit. I've never taken a steroid. I'm not planning to ever take a steroid. End of discussion."

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How about HGH?

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

How often (if ever) does the NFL test for performance-enhancing drugs? Is it training camp only, or also during the season?

Hell, the Seahawks seem to get somebody accused of this every season ... and that's not even counting the recreational drug use.

8. outofplace

There was another quote by Harrison that the guy in the story never supplied him with anything. But yes, I do believe he specifically mentioned steroids rather than HGH, but that doesn't surprise me.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe he's lying. But I don't think I'm on board with his denial being evidence, somehow, that he's lying. That reaction reminds me of how conspiracy theorists double down. "Of course someone who staged a false flag storming of Omaha Beach would say that!"

10. outofplace

Agreed. The evidence we have now is this one source, and there are reports that he has backed down. Of course, it is now damn near impossible for Manning to prove he is innocent. This is exactly why I've taken the extreme stance over the years on PED accusations. Once they are made, no matter how flimsy the evidence might be, the person is always going to be guilty in the eyes of many.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw that Peyton was asked if he's going to sue Al Jazeera and his response was, "Yeah, I'm probably going to do that, I'm that mad about it." I suspect we won't see a lawsuit.

The thing that makes me wonder if this is true, despite Sly walking back his allegations, is that Manning doesn't deny his wife received shipments, nor that she may or may not have received IV treatments after hours at Guyer.

"Any medical treatments that my wife receives, that's her business," he said. "That has nothing to do with me. Nothing that was sent to her and my wife has used have I ever taken. Absolutely not. I have my treatments that I do. She may have hers, but that's her business. There's no connection between the two."

Debbie Clemens approves of this denial.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What team does Peyton's wife play for?

Draft saved Draft deleted