1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning, Madison Avenue poster boy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

OK, Elway definitely doesn't win those Super Bowls without Terrell Davis. But he wasn't just a statue those two seasons. He still was among the game's best at the time -- and in the conversation of the top 5 to 10 QBs all-time. He finally caught a break by having an outstanding, Hall of Fame-class running back.

And he took the team to three SBs before that. Yeah, they got their ass kicked by more points each time. But they don't make it without him. Terrell was the reason they made it and won, but would they have made it if Jon Kitna was handing off to Davis? Or all but a few QBs in the league at that time?

Davis should get much more credit. But let's not leave Elway with nothing.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If Manning's career with the Colts lasts 15 years, then everyone should do this:

Check out the Colts' record for the 15 years before Manning.
    Check out the Colts' record for the 15 years with Manning.
    Check out the Colts' record for the 15 years after Manning.

Could be interesting. Visit the "Take Care of Yourself" thread so you'll be around long enough to make all of the comparisons.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Says the guy who started all this with a PM suggesting I change my name to something indicating my stupidity. And the guy who tells others they aren't allowed to criticize big-name writers because they don't have the cache to do so...yet knocks Gregg Doyel at every opportunity.

And if I all I did was work at my high school paper, I'd still have a bigger audience than you. You make that incredibly obvious with each and every post you make on a certain thread.

Go fuck yourself, asshole.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish will change their mascot to The Fighting Doberman Pinching Genitalias :).

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

COLTS BEFORE MANNING (nine seasons, 1989-1997)
    1989: 8-8
    1990: 7-9
    1991: 1-15
    1992: 9-7
    1993: 4-12
    1994: 8-8
    1995: 9-7 (lost to Steelers in AFC championship game
    1996: 9-7 (lost to Steelers in wild-card playoff)
    1997: 3-13

COLTS WITH MANNING (nine seasons, 1998-2006)
    1998: 3-13
    1999: 13-3 (won AFC East for 2nd time in 22 years, lost to Titans in divisional playoff)
    2000: 10-6 (lost to Dolphins in wild-card playoff)
    2001: 6-10
    2002: 10-6 (lost to Jets in wild-card playoff)
    2003: 12-4 (won AFC South, lost to Patriots in AFC championship game)
    2004: 12-4 (won AFC South, lost to Patriots in divisional playoff)
    2005: 14-2 (won AFC South, lost to Steelers in divisional playoff)
    2006: 1-0 (currently)

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Complete, unadultered bullshit. Unless you think wondering why you'd expect accuracy or information from Doyel is not derogatory.

As for the second comment, you absolutely made it to a friend of mine who has a beat 100x bigger than anything you do. Guaranteed.

Good, then I guess we have something in common.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Guess we're not debating Peyton's place on Madison Avenue anymore.

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

STOP STOP STOP STOP

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You had better be right about Beckett to start, just to start, making up for your embarrassing takes on Peyton.

As I said before, you wouldn't know greatness if it squatted over your huge, gaping yapper and threw some of your diarrhea back from whence it came.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow...so you went all the way back to September just to make this point? Uhm, do you even have a job if you have that much free time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.