1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning, gangster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

My answer is if you want to ban a few numbers or a few colors, then just go ahead and put a dress code in place.

Banning just a few numbers or a color or two is just plain crap. Dress everyone one the same or let them wear what they want.

Pick one or the other. Anything else is not right.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Let me try and phrase my opinion a little better.

So, they ban certain numbers because they are known to be gang numbers. OK. But then, the gangs know this (don't act like they don't.)

So, (the gang says) let's come up with a new secret number. 9. 9 is the new number for our gang.

So the number 9 is not banned. A kid wears a jersey that has a 9 on it (pick a player, any player.)

Kid gets hurt on the playground for innocently wearing the number 9.

You see where I'm going with this.

So ban all numbers and all colors and put them in uniforms.

Stopping kids from wearing a jersey with 18 on it is not going to stop the gang activity.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd take it one step further.

You ban all clothing identifiers, so gangs tell members to draw a mark on their left hands. You ban marks on hands, so gangs tell members to wear their hair in a certain style. You ban certain haircuts, so gangs create a certain style of walking to identify members. You force everyone to walk the same, so gangs ...

At what point are you stripping an entire student body of individuality in the name of gang prevention? It's one of those "... the terrorists win" issues.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, now. I tend to agree with you on that note.

But everyone keeps saying "A number means something! A color means something!"

There just HAS to be a more effective way of dealing with gangs than banning a certain number or color.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Those require money and effort from governments. These rules require money and effort from kids and parents.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This.

The second-largest school district in our "viewing area" enforced a very strict dress code. Polos. Solid colors. Khakis - no denims and no sagging.

Test scores up. Gang-related violence down sharply. Also a higher retention rate at the high school of 1,300.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This.

Thank you.

Ban them all or don't ban any. One or the other.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or we could just shoot first and ask questions later. if punishment and rehabilitation don't work just start killing them.

Draft saved Draft deleted