1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning, gangster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 6, 2012.

1. turski7

turski7 Member

I agree with Mile High. Gangs also pound the shit out of, and kill random people because they wear a specific number or color even though that person has no gang affiliation whatsoever. Happens way to often.
    Dumbass parent should've read the district's policy before making a federal case. Just get junior a Broncos shirt with Manning's name and no number. Problem solved.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe Peyton Manning is the Walter White of the gang? Being a future NFL Hall of Famer would be great cover for running a gang.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

OK. So ban any clothing that has any sort of number on it all. I mean, who's to say that 37 is not a gang number?

I agree that the parents should have been aware of the policy in the first place. But that doesn't change the fact that it is a ridiculous way to try and stop gang activity.

The Crips are red, right? By the logic of this rule, no one should be allowed to red to school.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I told a friend of mine who had raised her kids in Oklahoma, but was from Texas, about this. She relates a story to me about when her son was in 2nd grade. Happened about 15 years or so ago.

Having just moved to Oklahoma from Texas, her son was a huge Longhorns fan. So he wears a Longhorns cap to school. But is made to stand in the hallway until someone in his family could get to the school and take the hat from him.

Apparently their rule has been around for a long time.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Similar situation in Central California as well, where the Fresno Bulldogs gang has "adopted" Fresno State's mascot logo, and south of the Tehachapis as well, where the Surenos us the Dodgers' interlocking "LA" cap logo. No one sent home for sporting Dodger blue that I know of ... yet.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My old high school has had a clothing ban in place for some time. The LA Kings and Boston Bruins were co-opted by the Latin Kings. Bandanas and skull caps were also banned.

Many city school systems are going to school uniforms in part because of gang colors

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think the Crips are blue and the Bloods are red. Not sure about that.

Regardless, whatever gang it is (I think it's Nortenos), the ban on red is in effect in my son's middle school right here in the middle of 49er Country. Can't even have red shoelaces.

8. turski7

turski7 Member

Color association is why a lot of public schools are moving to uniforms and they pick a neutral color for that area.
    I would be more worried that a district doesn't do anything and let shithead gang members run around wild in the halls beating everything that moves because there are no rules.
    You have a lot of complaints, but what is your solution? Just wondering.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I certainly don't think, in the absence of a uniform policy, that you should ban certain numbers or colors. I can't imagine at all that those two things actually curtail gang activity in any way.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember an old Outside the Lines episode (way back when they were still occasional specials, rather than the weekly show), about gangs and sports.
    Part of it focused on Colorado, and how their rise in the late 80s and early 90s coincided with them recruiting in Los Angeles and Southern California. They got several key players on their national championship team -- I think they included Eric Bieniemy and Darian Hagan -- because of their colors. Nebraska was recruiting the same players, and they were afraid to go there because they lived in Crip territory (some might have been members of the Crips) and would have to wear red. So, they signed with Colorado instead.

11. turski7

turski7 Member

You guys must be white. ;D
    Crips are blue and Bloods (as when a person is cut and bleeds) are red.
    @ Lies - I hear what you are saying, but I think school districts think (may have numbers) on why banning numbers and colors are beneficial to suppress (to some degree) gang activity. You agree with dress codes, but that doesn't make sense either because what good is banning colors like you said?
    Not trying to pick a fight, just interested in your position, but what would you suggest to help decrease the problems?

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Time to trot out the 420 jersey.

Draft saved Draft deleted