1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning, gangster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nor No. 81, so that awesome Steve Watson throwback is out.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Weld County? Gangster?

Wow. Just wow. If Donkeys jerseys are gangster, then the state of Colorado is the home of gangster.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I actually do think Greeley has some problems with gangs. It's not the Broncos jersey but the number. I guess it's because of the 18th Street gang or something like that. How much wearing the number to school matters is probably up for debate.

4. turski7

turski7 Member

Yes, it is because of the 18th St. gang. Hispanic gangs are a big problem in Greeley. Went to college there and problem has increasingly grown the past 5-10 years.
    From the Greeley Tribune:
    Christopher Cox, a member of the 18th Street gang, is behind bars for the next 42 years for his part in Weld County’s first successful gang-related organized crime prosecution. So when Greeley-Evans School District 6 says students cannot wear sports jerseys or any attire with the number 18 on it, it’s no offense to Peyton Manning. In fact, Cox along with four other 18th Street gang members, including the gang’s founders Ramon Acevedo and Rosendo Santa-Cruz, were recently convicted of various crimes from intimidation to burglary under the organized crime act.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the 18 is banned because of the Mara 18. Same for 13, since it's used by one of the most vicious gangs in operation today. MS-13 makes the Crips, Bloods and mafia look like pillow fighters.

6. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Greeley does have a gang problem

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it does. So does Denver, Alamosa and other cities. And, yes, it's because of the 18th Street gang.

This is really much ado about nothing. This policy has been in place for many years. And ONE ass-hat parent bitches and the next thing you know it's 60 percent of the front page of the major broadsheet in the state.

If those who run the schools feel it's a problem and jersey colors and numbers shouldn't be worn, I'm all for it. This is not a Manning or Broncos problem -- it's a gang problem.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This is much ado about a lot. It is a bullshit policy that, in reality, doesn't change at all the activities of the gangs.

If the policy makers think that not allowing kids to wear a number will really and truly change what happens with the gangs, I'd like to show them some ocean front property in Colorado.

This is right up there with the Oklahoma policy that no student can wear a shirt for a team outside of Oklahoma.

It's a bullshit policy. And thank goodness that ONE asshat parent has brought attention to it.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

OK, I'm sorry, what?

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A kindergartner in Oklahoma showed up to school in a University of Michigan t-shirt. Administrators made him turn it inside out, because any college from outside Oklahoma is a gang symbol.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wow. Now that is messed up and utterly stupid.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I disagree. If the folks who are running the schools have for years felt it's a problem and this is a way to protect the kids, I will defer to them. They work there, they live there and they know the issues that affect the schools, the kids and the community. They are making decisions based on the safety of the kids. Why is that a bad thing? And this is not isolated to just Greeley and has been in place for many years. So now it's suddenly a problem because one parent piped up? No, the blame needs to go to the gangs that have used colors, numbers, logos and signs to communicate with others to attract kids to a lifestyle of bad choices. Don't like the policy? Change schools. It's a learning institution to be as safe as possible, not a fashion show. Wear the Manning jersey on Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted