1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pettitte Off the Hook....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Feb 12, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The report is that now Pettitte has been taken off the witness list for Weds. hearing (rumoured because painful to confront and drill Clemens while he's right next to him).

However, with respect to Pettitte's deposition testimony, "Rep. Davis of Virginia said in an interview with Newsday that Pettitte's account matches McNamee's in most details."

Others have said that Pettitte did not make a good witness and contradicted himself.

Here's the link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3241579

2. digger

digger New Member

What the hell is Clemens doing with all these "meetings'' with the congressmen, anyway? who ever does this? I've followed politics for a long time, and I've never heard of this kind of thing (doesn't mean it doesn't happen behind the scenes, I guess, but you'd think if he was doing this, he would have kept it quiet, too).

I think it makes him look a lot worse. And if any of those guys aggressively take his side, I'll bet anything Clemens will be doing some appearances, or some kind of fundraising, for that guy somewhere down the line.

Ugly, ugly business, and shows part of the problem with our political system and lobbyists in general.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He's trying to build up good will so the nasty congresscritters aren't as mean to him.

SCOTUS nominees do this all the time.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Suck, suck, suck.

Won't work, either. They're looking to lay him out, to justify themselves.

Rajah's cute when he gets pouty.

You'll see a lot of pouty, tomorrow.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You've got to figure that Pettitte probably nailed Clemens during his deposition, right? Otherwise, it wouldn't be the least bit uncomfortable for him to be in the same room with his buddy. He could just sit in front of the committee and say he preferred to talk only about himself and not other players.

Sounds to me like Clemens is going to have some difficult questions to answer tomorrow.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fuck Clemens for his small-town lobbying of elected officials like someone's inbred retarded cousin looking for a patronage job, but most of all, fuck Congress for allowing him to persuade judge and jury prior to the hearing. A kangaroo court is all it is.

Regardless, Clemens will get his comeuppance when the he's shut out of the Hall of Fame, and he knows it.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

This whole Congressional hearing stuff is just a Dog and Pony Show (shocking, I know). The politicians are just interested in giving the appearance that they're doing something, so they can have an easier time getting re-elected this fall. Beyond that, they just want to use their power to better themselves, in this case getting photo-ops and autographs with a very famous pro athlete.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Give Clemens credit, he's in full PR mode, schmoozing up the congressmen and posing for photos and signing autographs...

It's kind of troubling that they're so easily starstruck...

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Does this mean Mariano Rivera will be brought in to finish up the job?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The schmoozing/lobbying is simply unseemly.

To do it right before the marquee hearing is unacceptable. Those representatives had a duty to avoid any hint of impropriety and they blew it. I hope their small time antics come back to haunt them whenever they seek a higher office.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Rajah in a HEAP o' trouble now.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why?

Draft saved Draft deleted