1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pets are people too!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Or not.

Pet Peeve of mine ...
    I was just in the bank ... I have a speaking engagement, so I am wearing a suit and tie. Lady comes into the bank lobby with her dog, who jumps on my leg and gets hair all over suit pants.
    This is a MAJOR Pet peeve of mine: people who treat their pets like children and think they have the same leeway as humans; as in they can go anywhere their owners go. Or kids can go.
    No.

We have another guy here in town ... Historical society sets up a temporary museum every year. One guy brings his dog down every year and it wanders all over the inside of the place with his nose up to the table.
    I had a fit. A few other folks said, "we'll if you tell him his dog is not allowed in, he won't come."
    Me: So what?!? It's not like he's a donor or anything. He's a local guy who comes down to BS with the out-of-towners. Leave the damn dog at home!
    Granted, the dog is nice, but still. It's. A. Dog.
    Does the Historical society want hair and slobber over their stuff?
    I like dogs. I LOVE other people's dogs. And I like pets (disclaimer: I'm a cat guy). But the idea of taking pets everywhere and treating them as kids is enough. It's over the top for me.

End of Rant.

SFIND, Liut, swingline and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you are wrong about people treating their pets like children.

I would not let my kid hump your leg like that.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    HC, KYSportsWriter and dixiehack like this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I figured the dog at the bank was a seeing eye or something like that. But just some mutt walking or carried in? WTF? I get maybe it was too hot to leave the dog in an automobile so, ya know, perhaps the mutt should have been left at home?

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Most of the time I wish there were more dogs and fewer people around.

5. No.
    Not a helper. And not on a leash.
    And yeah, it's hot today. No condition for anyone or anything to be left in a vehicle, but still.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love dogs, but it has gotten out of hand.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I prefer pets over people nearly 100 percent of the time.

BTExpress and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. I hate people.

I just don't like dogs being brought into supermarkets and every other place of business.

OscarMadison and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Take Your Dog To Work Day" was a thing for a while.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I brought my dog into the office three times. In all instances, I do not work in an office that is generally used by the public.
    In two cases, I was off during a work day and passing through to take care of something.
    In the third case, it was a weekend. The office was closed and i was working for two or three hours.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You know what's worse? People who bring dogs to sporting events.
    WTF, man? Your mutt's natural instinct is to chase moving objects, and you bring it to an area filled with... moving objects. Really great at soccer matches. Dogs love balls, fucking LOVE balls.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I've never seen a service dog jump on a stranger's leg. Most have a sweater to let people know they are working and shouldn't be expected to play with kids or have people pet them.

Draft saved Draft deleted