1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petrino to Falcons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jan 7, 2007.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

To the best of my knowledge, no one ever asked Petrino if he was leaving for Atlanta. When Saban was asked about Bama during the season, he basically did everything but say, "If Mal Moore shows up on my front lawn, I will shoot him on sight." Saban denied up and down that he was going to Bama and of any coach whose name was floated for the job, he made the strongest denials. All of a sudden, Bama is throwing funny money at him and he is gone. That is why Saban was crucified and Petrino will be unscathed.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well said PDB.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pope, like the Ben Stone sidesaddle props.

Petrino learned his lessons from opening his yap in the past. That's where the difference lies. Doesn't make him any less of a scumbag, though.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Doesn't make Petrino -- who I quoted earlier from when he signed his 10-year deal at Louisville last year -- any less of a liar.

Again, they ALL lie.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Clinton has a better truth-telling track record than these douches.

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Well, it's 1:55 a.m. Eastern time on Jan. 8, 2007. So I'm pretty sure Petrino has been employed by the Falcons long enough to entertain other jobs.

I say the Dolphins should hire Bobby P., and soon -- after all, he has yet to lose a game with the Falcons.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Used to semi-root for the Falcons because I admire Vick's talent. Now, I'd like to see the whole thing collapse. That'd be cool.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I believe NFL owners are greedy, arrogant billionaires who don't want to see their million-dollar investments in coaches walk away to jobs in what they view as the bush leagues (i.e., colleges) without getting compensated for their loss.

That's why there are very restrictive rules within the NFL as to when you can and cannot offer HC jobs to people employed by other franchises -- they don't want to get into bidding wars between themselves.

In this case, the Dolphins were too stupid to believe a college team would attempt to outbid them for their coach, so they idiotically allowed Saban an out. And, of course, they were stupid enough to believe Saban's bullshit when he said he would fulfill the contract.

Saban has never fulfilled a contract in his fucking life. Why would he start now? And yes, Alabama, that means you. ;) ;)

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Don't assume Petrino will keep Vick as his QB. Not saying it's likely, but you never know. A lot of people think very highly of Matt Schaub.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Maybe the biggest difference is discretion on the part of the hiring party. Or, at least, the ability to get on an airplane without being noticed.

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

To my way of thinking, what Petrino did was at least as bad as what Saban did and probably worse. Saban signs the deal with the Dolphins, welches on it, and the Dolphin players get a different coach, something that happens to all professional athletes.

Petrino signs a TEN YEAR extension, which I am sure he used in recruiting, pointing out to potential recruits that he was there for the long haul. So they sign with Louisville, Petrino leaves and they are stuck. If the athlete leaves, he has to sit out a year.

Petrino lied to these kids.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

This was mentioned briefly in another message, but a story in the AJC says that Petrino isn't a nice guy and that might be a problem.

Anyone who has worked with Petrino have any stories/thoughts?

I guess all things being relative he can't be as big a jerk as Saban. Right?

Draft saved Draft deleted