1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petrino to Falcons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Doubtful. After all the smoke settles, the one lasting effect of the Saban affair, you can bet, is that ALL NFL head-coaching contracts, from this day forward, will contain cast-iron, etched-in-acid, carved-in-granite "you ain't coaching anywhere else on the planet earth until the day we say you can" clauses.

Don't want to sign it? Fine. Guess you don't want to coach in the NFL.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Starman, you can't really be naive enough to believe what you just posted..can you?

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That ship's done sailed, Starman.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Spirited, as I posted previously, they did the same thing, but look at the way they did it. Petrino under shadow of games, Saban in front of the cameras every step of the way.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not exactly GB....
    Bama job was open for weeks, in the spotlight for weeks, with an entire (pathetic fanboy) state making a fuss while Saban was coaching an NFL team and being asked about it.

Petrino played his bowl game the same day the Falcons job came open and hasn't been in the spotlight in the week since.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Louisville is lucky it got two years out of Mr. Wanderlust, never mind four.

His dalliance with Auburn, the Raiders and every other program this side of Mars was a joke.

7. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Meanwhile Michael Vick in his palatial estate is figuring out where to put Petrino's head above the fireplace alongside Jim Mora and Dan Reeves when he gets him fired.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Big difference. Also, Nick Saban treats the media like crap. I can't say Bobby Petrino loves us, but he's not a fraction as condescending as Saban.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ah Sam..
    the BIG DIFFERENCE is Saban is a total prick with the media so he gets crucified (deservedly) and Petrino, who lies and manipulates just as much and skips out on a 10-year contract, gets a pass.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think you and I agree here on some level Spirited. Maybe it comes down to the jobs. That there was an entire state of looser fanoboys clamoring about who's going to coach them, and then Miami's media grilling him through his denials and final admission it looks bad. That Saban was Bama's one chance to pull something great of their arse, hence all the speculation, didn't help.

Everyone knows Petrino's been thinking about the NFL for a while, but I don't think anyone said he was going until this broke tonight. While he was, I think, up for this along with Whisenhunt and other NFL assistants, it wasn't like he was the only option for the Falcons as Saban appeared to be at the end while he continued to deny everything.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

True, S-P. I don't like either of them, but at least Petrino has enough sense to stay out of the limelight when he's lurking. And unlike Saban's agent, I don't know the name of Petrino's.

Funny how we know the names of the media-whore agents: David Falk, Scott Boras, Jimmy Sexton, Arn Tellem and Drew Rosenhaus to name a few. They and the players use each other for notoriety and ESPN and many of the other media sources lap that crap up.

I know it's our job, but sometimes it's entirely too much.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agreed GB.. plus there is my basic premise in all of these situations that every coach always lies about his interest in other jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted