1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petrino to Falcons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jan 7, 2007.

1. There's a lot worse on the market. It's not his fault MSU leaked his hiring during Louisville's bowl game.
    [/quote]

I'd just prefer somebody who can wait longer than a week before jumping ship. I do give him credit for turning around the Ron Cooper-era.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And, I hope, it's never too late to say nice work, Pancamo.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Mike Shula and Jim Mora are both available ...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was actually a disgruntled MSU trustee who had hoped to torpedo Smith's hiring with a shitstorm of last-minute bad publicity who did that. Since John L. Smith couldn't name the brand of jockey shorts favored by George Perles, this made him an unacceptable candidate to the Green Coat Mafia, who wanted somebody better versed in "school tradition."

When Smith was hired by the AD anyway, this contingent launched an underground sabotage/throat-cutting campaign which lasted Smith's entire tenure. Smith didn't help things much with some legitimately stupid/bizarre moves on his own part either, but it was only a matter of time before he got lynched at MSU. He'll surface at a C-USA, Mountain West or Big East school, and probably do OK.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to hear this news ... because that means Ken Whisenhunt won't land this job, which means maybe he is the next coach for the Steelers.

Everyone thought Petrino would go pro someday. I just didn't realize that day would come so soon.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This is nothing but a wild piece of speculation.

Atlanta gets the No.10 pick in the draft. Any chance they try to trade Vick and draft Brohm? As we've seen Schaub will do fine for the Birds, and Vick still has enough promise, although it is diminishing, that they can get something good for him.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Absolutely we should!

On another note which hasn't been addressed yet, why were the Falcons so hot for Petrino? I know he's done well at Louisville, but how does that translate to NFL success? I don't see it.

Looks like another knee-jerk move by a mediocre franchise.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Bubs, I understand the sentiment, but I think the difference is no-one stuck a mic in front of Petrino in the last month and had him catagorically deny he was going to take the job that he ended up taking. They are doing the same thing, but one was wide-open in the media getting caught in a lie. The other was more covert, which is a good way not to draw attention to yourself, as is announcing it on Wild Card weekend and the eve of the National Championship.

Other coaches should be taking notes on how to and how not to leave a program. One way will get you ripped. The other will not.

I think Atlanta is keen on him because he runs an offense that a lot of people think will translate well to the NFL. I'm in the wait-and-see camp on him simply because I may think aloud about things, see above, but I'm not going to say flat out whether a guy will succeed or fail before he plays a game. I have no idea whether he will or not, but I'm interested to see what happens.

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

So, how long until Petrino starts looking for yet another job? By Tuesday?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yeah, Petrino's played the game.
    But big difference in A) the fact that he never denied going like Satan does and B) he didn't quit on his team two years after finally getting the bite of the apple he's played against every team he's ever coach and C) big difference between going from the NFL to a major as opposed to a mid-major to the NFL

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Right, slappy.
    Petrino just signed a 10-year contract after flirting with about 6 jobs in the past 2 years, spewed the usually coach bullshit about this is where me and my family really want to be for a long, long time... then skipped out after a year.

How does that make him any better than Saban?

Draft saved Draft deleted