1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petrino phone record stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 11, 2012.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

The fact that there's a decent percentage of Arkansas fans who still support Petrino and want him to have kept his job means that there's news value in showing the extent of Petrino's indiscretions beyond what we know.

If the reporting on John Edwards ended when it came out that he knocked up his mistress, we wouldn't be getting ready for a trial.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

About the only coach I could see giving Petrino a job would be John L. Smith, but since he's only in his first year at Weber State, I doubt he has the clout to do something like that. Another possible landing spot, Montana, isn't going to happen either.
    Don't know if he's still respected in the NFL and could get a coordinator gig there...of course, I'm sure if someone brought him on staff he'd probably have to start watching his back immediately.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The latest stories are focusing on Petrino's texts - including the actual messages - to administration officials.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He's radioactive for awhile. I don't think he'll ever be a college head coach again but one of his buddies - like John L. - will probably pick him up as an OC in a year or two.

Maybe he winds up in the CFL.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My wife works with clients and when she has a slow day I will get 5-6 calls from her. Pretty much "I'm bored, and I need someone to talk to calls." Innocent enough, but the record of six calls to me wife during the work day does not good at all in the wrong hands.

That does not happen to me (the insane bosses), but it could to someone. If you have your own phone, your records are off limits to them. I use my phone for business and call it a tax write off.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As I said on the other thread, Petrino could have gotten a personal phone, sure. But good luck explaining it to the wife when she finds out. And she will find out.

Wife: Hmm. You have a free cell phone from work. Why do you want to pay out of pocket for another one AND WHO ARE YOU FUCKING ON THE SIDE???

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

"The NCAA, honey. They track those school-issued phones. A personal phone? I can get away with more stuff."

"OK. Is it payday yet?"

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

She sounds dreamy.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, speaking of the NCAA, wouldn't any phone a coach owns be subject to NCAA rules, and therefore university scrutiny? Wouldn't surprise me if there's a policy that says coaches aren't allowed to have personal phones.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, any phone they own would be subject to scrutiny. I was being facetious answering Sonnner's question about an explanation for the wife.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

But not subject to an FOIA request from us, or correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Only property owned by the university is subject to FOIA. A work computer is. A home computer isn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted