1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petition for Fox to have Vin Scully call the WS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah this is sort of like Chick Hearn in his final days. Greatest hoops announcer ever (although I won't put up a fight with someone who puts Marv there) but the last few years were a bit of a struggle, especially that last season after his accidents. He wasn't the Chick of 1985.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Scully's what? 82, I think. Yeah, most people have slowed a little by that time.

I grew up listening to him, but that was more than 30 years ago. I'm honestly surprised he's hung around this long. Besides, he seems like more radio than TV.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed.

But neither could carry Bill King's jar of moustache wax. Why dude isn't in Cooperstown, Springfield and Canton remains one of life's great mysteries.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Joe Tait disagrees with your rankings. He is the best I have ever heard, and I have heard most of them.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I remember when Ernie Harwell sat in for a few at bats for the All Star game in 2003 or 2004 and they suggested he call and at bat. Naturally 10 seconds into what looked to be a nice change McCarver starts talking over him. Let those two clowns call it and I can just sync the game with the radio broadcast.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Not to turn this into a broadcasters' thread - there are probably 100 of them here somewhere - but Chick's the standard-bearer. But instead of writing a 1,000-word post on it, I'll just offer this:

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Scully did an inning of the Dodgers-Tigers game the other day.

Didn't talk much about what was actually happening in the game but went off on an extended dissertation on the 1944 pennant races (the teams were wearing 1944 throwback uniforms) in which the Tigers were nosed out by the Browns and the Dodgers finished 40 games out. Then a rambling recap of the 1944 World Series.

It was interesting in an inoffensively plesant/semi-charming way, but I had heard most of the anecdotes before.

Scully hasn't lost it to the point he is embarassing, but there's no big reason he needs to be railroaded onto a national broadcast either.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Online petitions are about as useless as websitr comments. Scully isn't entitled to call another World Series game. What point would it serve?

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Welcome to baseball in November: The clock strikes midnight on the east coast.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How about a petition to have Joe Buck call the World Series with Artie Lange?

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed he's not entitled, but it would be nostalgic. Fox's WS numbers have been tanking over the years. Why not try something that ties into the history of the game?

I also like the idea of each participating team's lead annnouncer getting a half inning, maybe a complete one.

Draft saved Draft deleted