1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King's lengthy profile of Goodell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herbert Anchovy, Feb 2, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is on a different PK story - the one he wrote about the Packers-Bears game - he wrote that nobody has followed a player like Favre with the success that Rodgers has - to which I ask, what about Steve Young?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

King's MMQB - the gift that keeps on giving :

Mr. Starwood Preferred Member Travel Note of the Week

I was in San Francisco over the weekend, visiting daughter Laura, who has relocated there from Los Angeles. Saturday afternoon around one, we were at the corner of Castro and Market in The Castro, which, according to Wikipedia, is "considered America's first, currently largest, and America's best-known gay neighborhood." I looked over at an outdoor cafe, Twin Peaks, and this is what I saw: a naked man, burly, around 35, with a white cockatoo sitting on his left shoulder. The foot-long bird was eating some seeds of some kind out of a coffee cup in the naked man's outstretched left hand.

The naked man wore nothing other than a narrow satchel that very partially covered his groin. Scores of people walked by and sat in the cafe, barely giving the man a sideways glance. A few minutes later, after leaving a store in the neighborhood, we noticed the naked man and the bird were now seated in the café, the bird eating and the naked man talking to some acquaintances.

Later that afternoon, we met some of Laura's friends for pizza in North Beach, right near the church where Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe were married. I asked her friend Ben: "Is it rare to see men walking around naked?"

"It depends what you mean by 'rare,' " said Ben.

I see.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

C) All of the above.

4. Boom_70

Think I will send a note to King asking if he was the "SI reporter" mentioned in the article that traveled with Goodell.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, nobody's taken Loopy or The Dwarf seriously for decades. I merely meant that Ryan--eminently more respected and respectable than Loopy or The Dwarf--put his career in trouble with that Joumana Kidd comment. Fortunately it wasn't a fatal blow.

6. DanOregon

I can't believe King is surprised he didn't get much reaction. React to what? Goodell is a nice guy who can be a hard negotiator? It read pretty similarly to the Tagliabue article a few years back.
    I was expecting more. More from Goodell about what he thinks about the labor negotiations, what he sees his role to be in the league etc.

7. Boom_70

Once you noticed Peter King byline it should have been a clear sign not to expect much. If you expected a cheery PR piece you would not have been disappointed.

8. DanOregon

He knows football, he's a hell of a worker but the article seemed more like a "beat sweetner" - a profile done on somebody with the hope that it will lead to some good inside stuff later on.

9. Boom_70

Joe Posnanski casts a more cynical eye at Roger Goodell:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/04/26/goodell-to-the-last-drop/

Draft saved Draft deleted