1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King sponges a ride home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder what it costs to hire a driver and a Town Car for a trip from Manhattan to Boston.

Oh. I was nice to Gay Talese once. Once.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.exectownlimo.com/Rates-Schedule.html

3 passenger sedan is $55/hour.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What PK fails to mention is that he generously took care of the tip for the driver -- $2.97 in change and a chiclet.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's easy to make fun of PK, but he is genuinely a good guy.

5. Mizzougrad96

I thought he donated the tip to the Seattle Seahawks former interns foundation.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agreed. After my story from 2000, I ran into Peter 8 or 10 times in NFL press boxes and we shared meals and caught up on the milestones of life (his older kids, my babies). Genuinely good guy who took an interest.

He has also done one of the few things in the business. Have a weekly "must read" in our ADD society. I'll give him props for that.

7. Mizzougrad96

There's usually at least one item in MMQB (which I read religiously) where I want to bang my head against my desk. The whole Starwood preferred member tip of the week usually falls into that category as do any reference to other sports. The one where he claimed to have had nothing to do with his daughter interning for the Seahawks made me almost throw my laptop through the window.

I've had a couple meals with the guy over the years, he name drops a lot, but he also tells great stories and is genuinely a good guy.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I bet my friends would tell you that sums me up, too. But my employers wouldn't. There's the rub, when it comes to PK.

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I can see myself in that description as well, except for the part about being a genuinely good guy. :D

10. Deadspin has comparitive excerpts from King's journey home and Joe Poz's, trip from Pittsburgh to New York in the same storm.
    Poz got a rental car and gave a Chinese woman a lift.

http://deadspin.com/5708384/joe-posnanski-is-the-salt-of-the-earth-peter-king-is-a-leech

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

didn't King live in NJ, Montclair maybe? seem to remember him on MIkey Fatcessa talking about his daughter's softball games.

Draft saved Draft deleted