1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King screws up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Didn't one of the recent video games (like Madden '0-something) rank all the players once? I remember ESPN.com had a column interviewing the worst player, according to the game.

That to me is more interesting than just a list of the top 500.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Actually I think that was Reilly's SI column a few weeks ago, where he talked to the worst guy, and others who were ranked low.

3. Yes, Mr. King does look a little sloppy, but it seems like something that could have been caught by a fact-checker -- or don't they have those at S.I. anymore?

4. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

These mistakes are silly, but they don't bother me all that much.

Though I would care more if I gave a damn about SI's top 500. I thought the overall issue was terrible. I just started up a subscription pretty much out of boredom and the second issue I get is nothing but a huge boring list.

Only read two of the team previews and gave up because I didn't they were very good.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think the 500th best NFL football player is still pretty damn good.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Everyone ranks things. Fortune 500, anyone?

7. i laughed

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I found the other corrections on the same page more disturbing:

SI's prediction for the Pac-10's in-conference record was a cumulative 41-49. And for the Big 12, it was 47-49.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

You have WAY too much time on your hands.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

When Fortune puts Marriott at both #203 and #459, you can compare the two.

And, yes, Landry at 200 spots apart destroys the credibility of the entire list. You guys should know by now it only takes the slightest error to ruin your credibility in this biz. Not saying PK's credibility is destroyed by this, but the list's credibility certainly is.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Apparently SI's fact checkers do not.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seems like if you're going to do 500 of anything, someone (ie the writer) should be thinking 'better check to make sure we didn't repeat.'

Once is an easy mistake...three times is just shoddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted