1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King is Scaring Me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 9, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

King is an excellent reporter who has cultivated relationships all over the NFL. There might be stuff in Monday Morning QB that is funny and very worth poking fun of (and I love the legit threads that do that), but sometimes it gets a bit ridiculous on here. He has always been an excellent reporter back to his newspaper days, great at developing relationships, and he and has written his share of excellent magazine stories. Those are all enviable skills. He's one of the best assets SI has. The web and TV stuff has diluted his output in my opinion, but the guy is really good at getting a story and he knows the NFL.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

SOMEWHERE ALONG THE COURTNEY CAMPBELL CAUSEWAY BETWEEN CLEARWATER AND TAMPA -- It was another pleasant valley Thursday at spring training, and I was returning to the Sports Illustrated condo in Tampa after a day with the Blue Jays in Gulf-Coastal Dunedin when the cell phone rang.

"Hey, Peter. It's John Lynch."

"Wow," I told the soon-to-be-ex-Tampa Bay safety. "I'm just listening to this melodrama on the radio. You got whacked today. Pretty wild."

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Just consider it an Enjoyable/Aggravating PK Note of the Week

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

From today:
    One other note from the road:

Changing planes at DFW on Sunday, I used the men's room near one of the American gates. I walked into one of the toilet stalls with the automatic flushers.

WHOOOOOSH. I closed the door to the stall and sat down.

Three more times I heard the same WHOOOOOSH as I sat there and minded my own business.

Of course, no flush when I get up and leave the stall. Gotta love technology.

5. I tried to think of a world where readers would actually care about that anecdote.
    Then I guzzled antifreeze and laid down to die.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

At some point while he is typing that crap, doesn't he say to himself, WTF?

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

If you had his twitter feed, you could have gotten that update as "it" happened.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, if you were only that lucky.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is what makes him one of the true insiders.

10. This is the post I would have typed had I not drunk the antifreeze.
    You have to have, like, no shame to publish that.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks he wrote that on a dare while bragging to someone that his editors will publish anything he submits.

12. Maybe he won the bet.

Draft saved Draft deleted