1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King, Enforcer of elevator etiquette

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/07/25/mmqb/2.html

Scroll down to the travel note of the week. He apparently isn't just lobbing shots at people from his column. Now he is feeling his oats in public.

Adds a whole new layer to "Peter or Parody."

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

His business card now reads: Peter King, Badass and Senior Writer

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I really would have voted for parody if you had posted it without the link.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Didn't know Starwood Preferred meant elevator privileges. Like King said, what an a-hole.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Kissing Suzy Kolber does not let me down.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2010/07/peter-king-got-into-a-fight.html

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Former Starwood Platinum here.

Would not have expected to be able to cut the elevator line.

But I probably would have done the same thing King did. But I wouldn't have even written about it on here or on facebook let alone publish it. (Not that the latter is an option for me.)

And if I did, I wouldn't call it a lift. Unless it's in the U.K., it's an elevator.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Of course on some level they are all classics, but this week he really was on his "A" game (or something.) Here's one excerpt:

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You have to admit, not everyone can work Larry King, Joan Rivers, and Carlos Lee into the same column.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I much prefer the Westin River North for its close proximity to better restaurants.

I can't help but wonder when these things come up for Peter that he thinks "boy wait till the SJ crowd reads this one.

It's funny for all the times he has played the "I'm Peter King card" for special privileges that he is upset when someone else trumps him. When he stole the Tejada foul ball from the little kid I just wish there was some one there to yell at him.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In the situation PK describes, when the guy says he wasn't getting on the elevator, you just say "good" and go about your business.

By calling the guy an ahole, King is just as responsible for the mess as the other ahole.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Also, when is any body part other than the penis described as "girthy?" I'm all for going to the thesaurus from time to time... call him hefty, rotund, whatever. But girthy?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

they guy was obviously an amateur. if you are going to jump a line - just keep going - no eye contact - no words.

Same applies when jumping ahead of traffic in the right lane.

King should have used his ample frame in more of a box out technique. Wide base - keep the feet moving - look straight ahead.

Draft saved Draft deleted