1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King Blasts Cowboys $55,000 Dinner Tab

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 29, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That steakhouse has $55,000 bottles of wine on the menu. Several $10,000+ bottles of wine. The food prices, however, are on par for your typical high-priced steakhouse like The Palm and Morton's.

And Smasher, how do you know the alcohol and food went to waste? One of the other players tweeted the next morning that he was having a leftover 20 oz steak for breakfast.

Dude can spend his money any way he wants. Why anyone has a problem with that is beyond me. I don't want anyone telling me how I should or shouldn't spend my money.

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'm guessing the bill wouldn't have been nearly so high had Bryant carried the pads for Williams in training camp. Sounds like they taught the rook a lesson -- an expensive one, but he can afford it.

3. JackReacher

Then you guessed wrong. It wasn't a lesson. It happens all the time. On every team. Every year.

Jesus. Did you even read the story?

4. JackReacher

Good column by Wetzel.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AngAP2cksr2a.xOTnnlvOL85nYcB?slug=dw-bryantdinner092910

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

PTI said yesterday that some players were ordering $600 bottles of wine to take home with them.

If I were Bryant, I would have stood up after dinner and said, "Thanks for coming, guys. The max on my credit card is 10 grand, so I've taken the liberty of having the manager divide the rest of the tab for y'all to hash out. Drive home safely." Then I would have left.

6. JackReacher

Yeah, the take-home items were a bit much, I think.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Several years ago the offensive linemen on (I think) the Broncos were doing something similar to a rookie and they all ordered some $100 glass of scotch or Brandy and proceeded to dump it on the floor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

Classy guys.

9. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/29/AR2010092907004.html

I think there's some truth to the notion that this particular instance was intended as a bit of a lesson.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a rough sport and many of its rituals are rough, too. Not saying it's right, but football players have been that way forever. Rookies used to be made to puke through drinking games at training camp. Now they're harassed in this way. The only difference is the money involved.

11. JackReacher

Right. And I'm sure a small part of it was redemption for the veterans. But that type of shit happens every year on every team. It was going to happen regardless of whether or not Bryant carried Williams' pads in August.

Gee is right. And hazing is a weird issue for me. On one hand, I didn't mind that Bryant refused to carry Williams' pads. Then again, I don't mind that players force the rookies to pay for a dinner, either. Everyone who played football where I grew up (including myself) was hazed in one form or another. I refuse to disclose the details of my hazing, though. :)

12. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Agreed that it was going to happen, pads or no. I just don't think it's entirely fair to discount the idea that the magnitude/execution of this bit of hazing might have been staged as payback.

And I'll sleep better without hearing about your hazing. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted