1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter Gammons undergoes emergency brain surgery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Probably the nicest most down to earth person/journalist I've had the chance to meet. First time we spoke was at Fenway, the morning after the "Hot Stove..Cool Music" charity event he and Theo organized. It's 9am, I'm going to work and he's on his way to Fenway as well. I asked about the event, expecting nothing more than a "great time...I had a blast" type of answer. Instead, we spent the next 25 minutes shooting the shit on a variety of subjects.....everything from how he thinks playing the guitar helps him as a journalist, to the state of the NHL.

Great guy.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

A coworker died over Labor Day weekend of complications from the same thing.
    In the 2-3 weeks leading up to the event, he seemed a bit angrier than normal. He also complained a lot about headaches.
    If we were to revive the "Take care of yourself" thread, those kind of things need to be added to the list of things to see the doctor about.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If I went to see a doctor everytime those things happen... I would be out of a job... and medical insurance,

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Will Olbermann say anything, you think?

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I hope DocTalk weighs in here. I cannot for the life of me understand how the instantaneous bursting of a blood vessel can be foreshadowed for weeks by an angry demeanor. Please.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

It's uusually a slow leak at first. Any bleeding in the brain causes it to misfire.

7. Saw a comment like this on the other thread. What's the backstory???

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

At the end of the program, he asked for a prayer or thought "for my good friend Peter Gammons"

9. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

I second that. Damn

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Perhaps the swelling in the blood vessel affects the motor and response centers in the immediate area.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't really know anything about the subject, but I'm pretty sure that an aneurism can exist for a long time before it actualy bursts. So I guess the swelling could affect a person's brain.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Do Roger Angell and Roger Kahn count as part of Gammons' generation?

Draft saved Draft deleted