1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter Gammons leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CitizenTino, Dec 8, 2009.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2009/12/gammons-ends-hall-of-fame-run-with-espn/

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As an off-shoot, what's the word with Dr. Z? He had a stroke months ago, but haven't heard any updates.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

ESPN should put a permanent camera in Peter Gammons' living room and allow him to chime in with his opinion while wrapped in a Red Sox Snuggie.

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

I realize they've got a good stable of guys to turn to, but I'm curious who they'll "replace" him with. Does this mean more airtime for their blogging crew?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sad, sad day at ESPN.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Buster Olney has been groomed for that spot, I would think.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but he's never shagged flies with the Sawx or bawled when Jeff Bagwell was traded.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pride of Randolph, Vermont.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

They don't already?

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

I totally agree, but I'm acting under the assumption that they still need to add someone to the TV crew since they're losing one.

I'm glad Buster has grown into his TV gig well. I remember when he first started in 2003 and was an absolute trainwreck on Baseball Tonight. Will still miss Gammons, who always seemed to comfortable and on-the-spot.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At 64 years old and with that stroke not that far behind him, will his "new endeavors" include retirement?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like Gammons is retiring. I'm guessing MLB Network/.com with fewer hours than ESPN.
    I hope ESPN doesn't feel the need to add another person. They have plenty of capable people who can fill Gammons air time, though not his shoes.

Draft saved Draft deleted