1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Sampras Come Back Anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RAMBO, May 16, 2007.

1. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Recently as I'm watching Around the Horn and PTI I heard them say that Sampras is having thoughts of coming back to the game and playing again in Wimbledon and maybe win it. So does anyone here give him a chance off coming back and also having an impact. ;D

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

On the Senior's Tour, sure. I love Pete, but I watched him play an exhibition in December and he's won't be competitive against Nadal, Federer, etc. Maybe against the Robby Ginepri's of the world, but not against the top players, and I don't think he'd be OK with that.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He apparently hit with Federer earlier this year and, according to him, "held his own" against Roger.

But it wasn't a five-set Grand Slam match for all the marbles.

And remember, Sampras was 0-2 against Federer when Pete was on top and Roger was an up-and-comer. I don't think that trend would reverse itself if Pete were to come back.

4. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

You probably right but I think there are some people out there that would want to see him back some experts have him in the top 20.

5. standman

standman Member

I think on grass, he is easily in the top 16. My thing with Pete is he had the perfect exit from his sport. He beat Agassi in the U.S. Open when few gave him a chance. It was a perfect circle. He started his Grand Slam run by beating Andre in 1990 (I believe) and ended it beating Andre.

It wouldn't tarnish his place in tennis history if he came back, just his perfect ending. Kind of like Jordan hitting that last basket against Utah. Then he goes to the Wizards years later... storybook ending over.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I could see Sampras beating Federer ... in a game or two ... over three sets.

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

That would ruin the storybook ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted