1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Dec 19, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

All-time hit king Pete Rose was on Dennis Miller's talk show (on Versus) and he had a lot to say...

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jUhN8EPc9_oD8wLBVQmQ5-fUzkCQ

And...

With guys like Roger Clemens, probably a sure Hall of Famer, being implicated in the Mitchell Report, do you think Pete Rose deserves another chance to get into the HOF?

I would vote for him, no question. What your opinion?

EDIT: It's been almost 20 years since he was banned.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Only after Shoeless Joe and Buck Weaver get in.

Fuck Rose, fuck him up his stupid asshole. He bet on the game. That's far, far, far worse than any 'roid usage ever will be.

Players have used substances (greenies, amphetamines, andro, etc.) throughout most of baseball history.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Did he get caught betting while he played the game?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He has admitting to betting while he was playing and while he was managing. He's a complete and total scumbag, and I say that as a (former) Reds fangirl.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looks like Pete would be first in line for 'roids:

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I could have supported Rose for the Hall once upon a time. But, after vehemently denying betting on the game so publicly and so long, to turn around and admit to it when the winds seemed to blow in that direction being his best interest, well, he lost me there. And he'll never get me back.

For me, I guess it's one thing to do something contrary to the rules. It's another thing to be a completely disingenuous liar about it as well.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Altar boy? ALTAR BOY? Fuck you Pete, you self-aggrandizing asshole.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Pete Rose claims to have always bet on his team to win. But, well, he isn't exactly known as some great bearer of truth.

Pete Rose claims nobody did steroids back when he was playing. But, as has been pointed out on the other thread, it is possible that he, Rose, was doing them during the twilight of his career.

Sorry, Pete. Your stats are in the Hall. His head should never be on its wall.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Like Clemens is doing right now.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

While I do think Clemens is lying, there is nowhere near the mountain of evidence against Clemens as there was against Rose.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Paging Starman. starman to this thread please.

Rose needs to shut the fuck up. Even if the steroid scandal makes him look better, I believe it's too late...he's ineligible b/c he would have spent the 15 years on the ballot by now.

buh bye Pete.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As noted from the other thread:

At the tail end of his playing/managing career, Pete Rose lived for almost two years with Tommy Gioisia, a weightlifting freak and bodybuilding-club operator who, shortly thereafter, was convicted and went to jail for trafficking in steroids. Rose was a frequent visitor to Gioisia's gym.

One of the primary functions of steroids is to allow old, washed-up athletes to maintain a condition adequate to play major-league sports, for such objectives as chasing legendary career records. (Although having a manager who will put you in the lineup no matter what certainly helps in that respect, too.)

Fun Fact: In 2006, Pete Rose Jr. also pled guilty to trafficking in steroids.

Draft saved Draft deleted