1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose said he bet ON the Reds. Every night.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

So the guy was placing bets on reds games every night while their manager, he was a typical pathological gambler always looking for an edge, was battling some heavy past gambling debts, and now wants us to believe he NEVER ONCE fell to the urge to bet against the Reds when he knew it was it his best bet (& easiest to control)? Ummm, bullshit. Deserves every bit of misfortune that's befallen him.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm not casty -- not even close -- but I do agree on Rose being in the Hall on his merits as a player. And, on his plaque, there should be an engraved asterisk with the note that he was banned for life. As there should be one for Joe Jackson, because he deserves to be in, too.

Ty Cobb was, by almost every account, a despicable human being. There is some evidence that suggests he was a murderer. But he is in the Hall, and rightfully so. Gaylord Perry admitted to cheating, and has capitalized post-career on his legacy as a spitballer. But he is in the Hall, and rightfully so.

The Hall is not a litmus test of a player's character, not if they're going to apply it so subjectively. FWIW, that clause was only added to the voters' list of criteria in 1946, the same year Shoeless Joe got two votes (he also received two in 1936.)

Pete should be in, too.

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

KUDOS to baseball. It's three most hallowed records will soon be monopolized by despicable vermin. And I hear ole Ty Cobb was no prize either.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's just remarkable how Pete can get headlines every few years for trickling out more of his gambling history. I can see it now... 2011: "I actually bet the Reds every night in a three-team parlay"... 2015: "You know those season-win props? I bet the over on my team every year"... 2030 or thereabouts on his death bed: "I sometimes bet the Reds to lose."

5. What do you have against Hank Aaron? Why would you call him a raging douche bag?

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Or you could just read the book on Delhanty by Mike Sowell. :)

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I don't think the point here is that Rose bet on the Reds to win - I think that was common knowledge, and perhaps already admitted. The key here is he is saying he did it every game. Thus, if he didn't do it every game, then the games he did bet on, maybe he would have made different moves to ensure a win. Or in games he didn't, he'd rest guys so they'd be OK for the games he did bet.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Even better.

Shameless plug for the new SABR publication, is all. ;)

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Of course, there is also the very astute assumption that every single time Pete Rose moves his lips and sound comes out, he is lying.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Lantaur,

Previously, it had been mentioned that Rose bet on the Reds to win, except for the games Mario Soto started -- thus tipping off (inadvertently or not) the bookies. If you were a bookie and Pete Rose didn't bet on the Reds to win that night, you could easily take that as a sign that Rose didn't think they would win that night.

http://www.posner.com/articles/peterose.htm

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I saw the exact same thing last March at the same spot (although I'm not sure what the price was then). Just a bunch of store employees in Reds jerseys trying to stir up interest among the passersby, and no one giving a rat's ass.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's funny, because it's so close to being true.

Draft saved Draft deleted