1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose said he bet ON the Reds. Every night.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 14, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I\\\'ve always liked the idea of making him (and, for that matter, Shoeless Joe Jackson) eligible after he dies. It\\\'s a lifetime ban, not a forever ban. That way, the player cannot enjoy any fruits that might come with HOF membership. Not that the veterans committed would vote either of them in. And make a rule where they\\\'re automatically disqualified if they commit suicide.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dammit, I was all set to attend the Willard Hershberger induction, too. :'(

http://www.thedeadballera.com/suicides.html

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Quite a scoop for Dan/Keith.

You've got two options if you're Rose: deny, deny, deny until the day you die ... or come clean at the beginning.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

scoop? another lie? dude's story changes every week

i wouldn't believe a single word the guy says... ever. that you broadcast more of his lies isn't a scoop -- it's a forum. nothing more, nothing less

reds must be kicking themselves. they opened a new pete rose exhibit, had a big press conference last night. and pete pulls this shit. what a sad, sad human being

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Question: Wasn't he technically player-manager one year? Does this mean he actually bet on the Reds while an active player in this instance?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He was actually player/manager for part of 1984 and all of 1985-86.

So yeah, he was an active player -- a mediocre .264 hitter and a league-average first baseman at age 44, but an active one.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Bonds goes in the HOF, then so does Rose. The AllTime HR leader is a raging douche bag and the AllTime hits leader is a pathological asshole

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

So, was Ed Delehanty's death a suicide?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No.

In the SABR-published book "Deadball Stars of the American League," which just came out last month (<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Deadball-Stars-American-League-Baseball/dp/1574889826">get your copy today!</a>), the chapter on Ed explains how a drunken Delahanty got thrown off a train for being unruly, got in a fight with the conductor, and at some point fell over the bridge. When I get home tonight, I'll type up the exact details from the book. But it was not a suicide.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, that's mildly good news that he didn't jump off on purpose. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, old drunk, unruly, accidentally dead Ed.

11. boots

boots New Member

Casty, feel free to jump in here at any time. Pete was a great showman for baseball as a player. As a person, he was a piece of shit. As a player, he belongs in the hall.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I couldn't agree with you more on that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted