1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose in the HOF? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, May 10, 2007.

?

In or out?

1. In

37 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Out

35 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No way in Hell.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You do realize Ty Cobb (and Tris Speaker) once bet on a Tigers-Indians game that they both played in, don't you?

Commissioner Landis, with his Wizard of Oz-like sense of justice, swept it under the rug because the game in question happened before he came on board. They both quit their teams and signed with the Philadelphia A's for their final year(s) in the big leagues.

3. boots

boots New Member

Many people forget that fact buck. Thanks for bringing it back up.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

In, but only after he dies.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

absolutely not. he disgraced the game. case closed.

this whole issue sucks. keep him out and let his records speak for themelves. but don't honor the shnook. go to the hall, take your kids, and give them a life lesson-styled lecture.

i prefer that to explaining why the a--hole has a plaque. he blew it. eff him. the argument that other a--holes like cobb are in is an awful argument, imo.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, you've got me interested. Were voters aware of it when they voted for those players to be in?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, shockey.

The character clause is a crock of shit.

The Hall of Fame is not a morality play. It's to honor the best in baseball history. Pete Rose, warts and all, belongs in the Hall of Fame. He's one of the best in baseball history. Period.

Bar him from attending the induction. Bar him from having a job in baseball. Bar him from appearing at any baseball function.

But don't act like those 4,256 hits don't exist.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And I'm not saying they don't exist. He earned every one of them. But he accepted the lifetime banishment, and then lied about betting on baseball. What happened in the past is, to me at least, irrelevent. In a way, players need to be judged on their own, without comparison to others.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Absolutely. Not that it mattered, with Judge Landis alive and well, holding his iron whip against anyone who challenged his rule.

The game in question happened in 1919.
    The Cobb-Speaker-Wood hearings were in 1926-27.
    The first Hall of Fame vote was in 1936 (Cobb was voted in; Joe Jackson even got two votes!).
    Speaker was inducted in 1937.
    The museum opened in 1939.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

no effin' way.

It's funny, I would have likely supported the other direction in the past, but when he came out and admitted he lied after so vehemently denying for so long, well, that just verified what a low life, morally bankrupt scumbag he really was, and he is no way deserving of a Hall accolade.

And to the earlier comments: let's not ask Ty Cobb; let's ask Shoeless Joe instead.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well maybe the good news from this is that now people get to vote for whom they believe should be in. I can't really picture Bud Selig with a whip. A ball-gag maybe, but not a whip.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, buck, should Shoeless Joe be in as well? Following your logic, it would seem the 3rd highest career BA of all time would also merit Hall recognition.

Draft saved Draft deleted