1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Hamill piece on the last hours of RFK

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Webster, May 22, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's funny stuff.

2. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

What Hondo said.
    I thought the same thing.

And I think Pete Hamill wanted us to see it that way.

3. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I feel the same way about Pat Jordan, Frank. What you think about him?

Love his writing. Love it better when he doesn't insert himself into anything and everything. And his wife. And his dog. And the Meg Ryan thing.

4. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

For the record, this isn't an excerpt from a Hamill book, it's almost the entire essay that's featured in a pictorial book about the RFK campaign done by Bill Eppridge, a famed Life magazine photographer who took many of the photos from that time that are burned into our memory today, specifically the one of a dying RFK being cradled by the busboy. As an avowed Kennedy groupie, I have to say this is already a dog-eared book, and I've only had it for a week or so.

I am also eagerly awaiting arrival of "The Last Campaign: Robert F. Kennedy and 82 Days That Inspired America," by Thurston Clarke, which is released this week and was excerped in Vanity Fair this month (as were some pictures from the Eppridge book).

Also, as an admitted Hamill groupie, I have to say I have little problem with his first-person dabblings. Like it or not, he has led a fascinating life (as has Breslin, another for whom I don't mind his first-person tales), and to me it is not just a writer's privilege but also his responsibility to share such experiences with his readers. Maybe that's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. But to me, "A Drinking Life" is the best memoir I've ever read (better by far than Breslin's, even) because of its honesty, the brutal way he evaluates his own behavior while drinking, and, of course, the fact that in my view he puts sentences together better than just about any other American-born writer, ever.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

what he said. 8) 8) 8)

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Hamill's merits aside, how the hell else would you write this? ... he was there in the hallway when RFK was shot. It scares me that somebody could read this evocative piece and all they could think of was to lament that it was written in the first person.

I'm also wondering how much Aeschylus George W. has read, and who his favorite poet might be ...

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That about sums it up. Awesome.

You have to say, though, it doesn't descend into so much of the exasperating self-pity you see in these "drinking memoirs."

Pete Hamill has written more about his life than Benjamin Franklin his.

8. J.T. Pinch

J.T. Pinch New Member

In Katherine Graham's autobiography, she tells the story of a cartoon Herblock submitted after the RFK shooting. He listed the names of all the US Congressmen who voted against gun control with the caption "Killers" beneath it. Bradlee and The Post didn't run it as it turned out.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good.

Ol' Herb, overshooting the runway, on that one . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted