1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pete carroll to dolphins???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 9, 2007.

1. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

No I don't agree let me tell you why first of all Pete has a great program going over there at USC he is got alot of his players from this year coming back and he got a chance to win the National Championship again so why would he leave now.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

He failed in rebuilding a pro team when it was at the bottom (Jets), and brought a Super Bowl team into sustained mediorcity in two seasons. What would any NFL owner see in him, unless they see his recruiting and figure that means he'd do better if he could, as Parcells says, buy his own groceries?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear MMS: Bob Kraft has admitted he didn't give Carroll a fair shake, saddling him with the remnants of a dysfunctional front office, i.e., Bobby Grier.
    Pete, however, would have to have rocks in his head to take the Dolphins gig. Why move when eventually some NFL team will come to him in LA and hire the local legend as its new coach?
    Also, college recruiters pitch moms and dads. Pro ones must pitch to agents, a much tougher sell.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If you're an owner of a bad team, you're might be trying to ignite your fanbase with the hire just as much as you're hoping to hit a home run in the coaching department.

And, unless I'm misreading things, a Carroll hire would be a home run in the p.r. department.

Of course, as others have said, he'd have to be an idiot to take the Miami job.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Given Huizenga's history in coaching searches, I think he still wants the home run. When he hired Jimmy Johnson and Nick Saban, both of them were the biggest PR coups on the market -- Johnson was considered a personnel genius from his days in Dallas and Saban was considered the college coach most likely to succeed in the NFL. Huizenga loves to make the big splash and land the "dream" coach.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

WFW. Bobby Grier made the Pat Sullivan regime look like brilliant.

Then again, Carroll had NO control over that team. See Paradisegate.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

If I was Huizenga, I'd say the heck with getting a big-name coach and try to figure out how to get the No. 1 pick and get Brady Quinn.
    Fans come out to see players, not coaches.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Basing the decision on the arrival of an NFL team in LA would be like basing the decision on the arrival of Halley's Comet.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You are right in the sense that no one in Philly says, "Lets go to the Eagles game and watch Andy Reid brush Triscuit crumbs out of his mustache." But for the sake of argument, lets say Huizenga somehow managed to hire Bill Belichick -- don't you think the Phins fans would be estastic and 10 times more confident about the team's future?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree with you PDB. When the Seahawks hired Holmgren, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Of course then all the fans jumped off the bandwagon after a couple of 8-8, 7-9 years, but when a team hires a coach that makes a splash I think it has an effect on ticket sales, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted