1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pete carroll to dolphins???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 9, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

sounds like it could happen. agree??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2725843

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No.

"I'm thrilled to be here," Carroll said. "As I've been the whole time, I haven't wavered. I know that being curious about it has helped me appreciate what we have here. I absolutely expect to be here."

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, if he wants to get back at the Jets and Patriots for firing him, he would have the opportunity to play them twice every season.

Honestly, why go? He's got a near-perfect job now. I suppose he might be bored or wants that next challenge, to prove he could be an NFL coach, but he's got a good thing going now. I would be stunned if he leaves.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would be highly surprised, but there is always that ego thing that makes coaches want to prove it. I could see him going just to show he can do a good job in the NFL. I don't know if it's the best move though. If he stays and maintains USC for 8-10 years, he could leave the college game a legend.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

He would probably have to take a paycut to go there.

If he takes a pro job, he lands in Phoenix.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

What's Pete Stoyanovich think of this?

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

hey, i'd be stunned, too. but less so now. guess i was just asking if others agree he left the door wide open. "expect" to be here is not the same as, "we had a terrific, four-hour chat. but i'm staying here. end of discussion and flirtation."

just seemed to me pete was far from slamming the door shut. guess i just don't trust anyone's answers no more.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

great reference there. i covered that game. referred to pete's grabbing at his throat as a case of "premature gesticulation." ;D ;D ;D

wasn't i clever? 8) 8) 8)

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

HA! That's great. "Premature gesticulation."

I think Carroll would be insane to leave USC. And Belichick and Mangini would eat him alive.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Hmmmmm. Song Girls vs. Dolphins cheerleaders.

Edge: push.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Just like Belichick's protege Weis has? Think again. He'd be more than ready to take them on. In fact, I don't think the two camps like each other very much. He already chewed up Weis and spit him out. Time to go after the big hooded fish.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Natural environment: Hurricanes in Miami, earthquakes in LA. Push
    Unnatural environment: Isn't everything fake in LA?
    Beaches: edge to USC.
    Q rating/scratching the ego itch: massive edge to USC, though in Miami he'd be the biggest fish in a slightly smaller town. In LA, he's one of a thousand points of light.
    Night life: I don't get the impression Carroll's all that interested in that, but Miami/South Beach gets my nod. You seen one movie premier, you've seen'em all.
    Theme parks: Slight edge to USC, just because Orlando's 3 1/2 hours away from Miami.
    That whole winning thing: USC, and it ain't close. All the arguments about salary cap management keep being trotted out because they're valid. A new coach in the NFL rarely gets enough honeymoon to work out that conundrum to the franchise's advantage. No such problem in college. he can pay the Trojans whatever he wants ... He can recruit as many draft picks as he wants to that campus.

Draft saved Draft deleted