1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PETA jumps the shark

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MacDaddy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

As a Seattleite, and frequent visitor to the market, fuck PETA.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FYI, I knew PETA doesn't squander money and is operated in a thrifty way, so I was curious about that link someone posted to the BBB charitable giving website. The BBB's citing PETA has to do with some requirements they have about how the board of directors of a charity has to be structured. PETA has a three-member board, instead of five, for example, and the board chair also serves as the treasurer. That got them cited twice. The third "failure" is that they don't put their IRS Form 990 on their website, but that is a filing that is freely available to anyone. If those things bother you, then you certainly shouldn't give money to PETA (if you were otherwise sympathetic to their cause). But it's kind of silly.

PETA is independently audited and makes the info available to anyone, so they are an open book. They are rated highly by charitynavigator.org, which is an independent organization that rates charities based on a host of criteria and goes into much greater detail in scrutinizing charities than that BBB site. PETA is also really an advocacy group, not a charity, but as long as they accept people's money, people should scrutinize how they are run.

To put the post with that BBB link I am referring to into perspective, though, and to give an idea about the attitudes of people running PETA, Ingrid Newkirk, the President of PETA accepts only a $34,000 salary per year (which in fairness, is undoubtedly supplemented with the perks of the travel, etc. she does, but still she has never used this to enrich herself). Edwin J. Sayres, the President of the ASPCA accepts a salary of $421,514. He is also not the founder of the ASPCA and he does not run the organization with anything near the passion for the cause that she brings to her cause.

In terms of organization efficiency -- fundraising efficiency, fundraising expenses, program expenses, and administrative expenses -- The ASPCA earns two stars from charitynavigator.org (i.e. needs improvement--Meets or nearly meets industry standards but underperforms most charities in its Cause.). Their methodology and the actual numbers are spelled out on the site. PETA earns three stars for organization efficiency (i.e. Good--Exceeds or meets industry standards and performs as well as or better than most charities in its Cause.)

Both the ASPCA and PETA are fine organizations that are fairly well run as far as non-profit organizations go. I don't care if PETA doesn't meet three silly BBB standards, whatever they are. I challenge anyone to demonstrate that PETA is not a thrifty organization that doesn't squander the money people give them, pays the people working for the organization low salaries and keeps fundraising and administrative expenses reasonable, by non-profit standards. That is really what matters, isn't it?

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Word.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Dahmer also got a lot of people talking about him.

5. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I think the ASPCA is a better organization, and not because it's easier to get behind. PETA certainly is good at getting attention and maybe Newkirk does draw a meager salary (don't know what she gets for speaking engagements or other things like that), but I have seen very little evidence PETA actually saves any animals.

Comparing slaughterhouses to Jews and slaves is insulting and offensive. Aside from that, I'm interested to see how, and if, PETA's outrageous tactics have helped animals from abuse or mistreatment. I can find out how much and what exactly the ASPCA has done to protect and save animals' lives, but all it seems PETA does is spend time and money advertising its ridiculous schlock.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Peyton, Their mission is to raise awareness about animal suffering. Not to run pet shelters. They are not focused on pets or domesticated animals, by and large, because dozens of other organizations do that. They don't do adoptions or run shelters, so if you are holding them to a "saving animals," standard, yeah, they fail. It's not part of their mission, though.

They do however focus on areas they believe the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely and for the longest periods of times: in factory farms, in labs, in the clothing trade and in the entertainment industry.

I realize that a lot of people don't agree with their agenda (let alone the lengths they will go to for publicity), or only partially agree with it, but that is their agenda. If they work through public education or cruelty investigations or lobbying or through publicity campaigns to shed light on how animals are treated in factory farms, they may not realistically "save" any animals, but I am not sure that is a reasonable standard to hold an organization to when it's goal is to raise awareness to animal cruelty, and they are focused on the animals that in their view other organizations ignore.

I am fairly sympathetic to a lot of what they do, which is why I am so active on this thread. Even if I wasn't, I'd still have an appreciation for how they have taken a once underresourced organization and made it relevant. I also realize this is a cause that many others don't agree with--I don't eat meat, for example, and I will never be able to convince 90 percent of my friends that they shouldn't. If your objection is that you don't agree with their cause it's one thing, but as far as living up to their principles and spending the money they collect well -- and accounting for it with independent audits that anyone can look at -- PETA has nothing to apologize for. The ASPCA is only superior to PETA because you are on board with the ASPCA's mission and you aren't on board with PETA's.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

PETA was beside itself the day Batman pulled out his Bat Shark Repellent...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

We love the absurd.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You are the seventh person to make that joke on this board. http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I understand what PETA's mission is and that domestic animals aren't their primary focus. I also have no problem with someone not eating meat, but PETA is woefully ignorant of actually succeeding in making important change, in my opinion, and superb at shameless self-promotion.

So recently, Kansas City decided not to run PETA ads aimed at the abortion debate, telling both pro-choice and pro-life people not to eat meat. PETA, of course, timed the ads following Dr. Tiller's murder. Naturally, a lot of people were talking about PETA because of it, but do you think one person quit eating meat or one farm animal's life got better because of it?

My whole problem with PETA isn't that I disagree with their message, but they remind me of rabid anti-abortion protesters who scream and carry-on and use intimidation rather than respect and understanding to get their point across.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

PETA makes an ass of itself, part MMCMOFLDIHF:<blockquote>WASHINGTON – The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter in chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said Wednesday. "We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

During an interview for CNBC at the White House on Tuesday, a fly intruded on Obama's conversation with correspondent John Harwood.

"Get out of here," the president told the pesky insect. When it didn't, he waited for the fly to settle, put his hand up and then smacked it dead.</blockquote>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090618/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_dead_fly_7

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Saw that on Nightly last night, javaman. Ree-diculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted