1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet peeves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Rationally, I know that this is the case. Hell, I remember my grandmother watching me.

Emotionally, I'm always thinking, "Am I being a bad parent because there is an ulterior motive here - for me to get a break/get things done."

Men probably don't deal with this psychological baggage as much as women, but it's still there. You feel like you should work 50-60 hours a week and be a star in the office, keep the lawn mowed, keep the dishes moving, keep the floors vacuumed, keep the dogs fed, keep up with world events, stay in shape, and, oh, be Superdad, without fail, every day.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

So true. I always try to arrive 15 minutes early. That way if I'm ever "late" I'm still technically on time. Dr. J still can't get that.

Back to the toddler thing. Yesterday I watched a woman who also had a newborn struggle with a toddler. He wasn't being terrible, just precocious. Well, he ran about 20 feet away from her, so I offerred to go get/tail him until she caught up. By the time I got to where I thought he was, I didn't hear his footsteps anymore. When I looked up he was already out of the building.

I almost had a heart attack. Another parent that was closer to the front of the store saw what what was happening and got him. I was really upset until one of the other customers told me she had made the remark that she wasn't even going to bother watching her kid anymore.

3. Chuck Dickey

Chuck Dickey Member

Someday, I'll find the SOB who leaves a few drops of coffee in the pot. I suppose I shouldn't get so worked up about something like this, but I find it even more offensive than the guy who says "mute" rather than "moot." ("That's a mute point")

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

People who ignore school zone speed limits, and also ignore kids waiting to use the crosswalk across from school. Fucking slow down and if a kid wants to use the crosswalk, fucking stop.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This, too.

I really hate it when someone tries to pass me, then goes the exact same speed as me. Either pass me, or slow down. Don't go the exact same speed.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Cycling division:
    - Riding your bike on the sidewalk
    - Pedestrians in the bike lane
    - Cyclists in the bike lane on the wrong side of the road

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

People who walk and smoke on a crowded sidewalk get me. I'm not one to criticize smokers, as I occasionally join them. But I don't think it's right to walk and smoke when there are tons of people behind you. To me, that's far worse than smoking sections in restaurants or bars.

And, to repeat myself for the hell of it because I can't stress enough how much I hate this: Reply all.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I have six preset AM stations and 12 FM in my car, why are they all airing commercials at the same time?

OscarMadison and fossywriter8 like this.
  9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

- People who try to tell others how to be parents
    - People who try to tell others how to drive
    - People who try to tell others what is moral or correct
    - Smokers
    - Grandparents who shouldn't be allowed near children
    - Parents who leave their children with grandparents so they can take vacations
    - Message boards
    - Sports
    - Journalism

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Blake Griffin clearing out with his left arm. It's too bad Mo Lucas is not in the league anymore.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They might have been waiting for you to leave. :)

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ageist!

Draft saved Draft deleted