1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet peeve - does this happen to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Susan Slusser, Jul 11, 2008.

1. My four-year-old knows to say thank you for everything. It's not rocket science.

Not only is not saying thank you extremely rude, but it doesn't make sense from a networking perspective.

Why would I, as a possible reference, do you a second favor if you didn't thank me for the first one?

And, echoing Cadet, I had someone on here pm me for a bunch of advice and I never heard from them again. Fine with me - I knew someone at the paper he wanted to work for and could have been a big help finding him a job.

Saved me the trouble.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got several of those little rejection letters in my stack of cards/notes. They're a great conversation piece.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

You must be quite the sagely type. For one, take the compliment that you get asked a lot. I don't. I must suck.

Beyond that, I'm a little appalled that you don't get more thanks. Don't know quite what to make of it though. Kids these days, maybe?

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This is a great thread...

I've asked for lots of advice on here, and always, always try to thank the person (either e-mail or PM-- SOMETHING)

I've also been asked to give advice, and while I'm flattered... I've always been happy to see a 'thanks for the help' or such in an e-mail or PM.

Some people just seem to not have any manners. This goes for everyone in our society. You can instantly tell when someone was raised right or not.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Cripes, how hard is it to fire off a short thank you? As people have said, you shouldn't need to learn "etiquette" in this situation. It should be common courtesy.

6. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I can see both sides.

I have asked for help before and always respond back with nothing short of a two paragraph response of thank you for your time and thoughts. I know you are busy… etc.

But, I have gotten responses to that email of “no prob.” And one person even asked that I stop thanking them after I get a response because its unnecessary.

So I get both sides. But, personally, as a young journalist, I always err on the side of common courtesy. Better to be polite.

And the consulting company is brilliant. I don’t have 50 bucks an hour to drop on a session but I know the rich kids from all of the J-schools probably have that in their wallet right now..

Draft saved Draft deleted