1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet peeve - does this happen to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Susan Slusser, Jul 11, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They taught that etiquette in a couple classes at my college, but it's a skill you should know almost automatically. It's common courtesy. If someone does something nice for you, you say, "Thank you." It's not really that hard.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Whenever a student writer has serious holes in a story, I usually send a long e-mail with lists of the specific things that need/needed fixing and ways to improve a story. Not just for that particular story, but for future stories. I try to equip students with tools to succeed in the future, even if it's not for my publication.

I think all but one or two people wrote back. And, on top of that, only one student was anything less than appreciative of my taking the time to offer feedback. And I must have sent at least 10-15 such e-mails in two years. And I've even gotten two thank you e-mails from students who thanked me for giving them feedback.

I'm beginning to think my experience is totally atypical in journalism.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It seems like a matter of common courtesy. There's really no excuse not to send a thank you.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I understand Susan's point and I've also experienced playthrough's.

I was once flattered when a young poster PM'd me looking for career advice. I took a lot of time and care in my response to him. Not only did I not receive a reply, but I found out he had BCC'd a blanket PM request to dozens of posters.

That in itself seemed rude, and it also told me a lot about that person's reporting skills: If you won't seek advice from people you know have the experience to provide credible answers, how do I know you won't quote the bat boy after Game 7 of the World Series?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I've had good luck on this score. Common courtesy may not be common, but it's not dead, either.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If I knew who you were, I'd ask for advice and not say thanks.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I've asked for help and received it numerous times, often in lengthy responses. I always try to express as much appreciation I can without being a hassle or polluting a busy person's Inbox.

As for common courtesy, I had a job interview two years ago. I showed up in a shirt and tie, addressed the person as sir and Mr., and sent a follow up letter via e-mail the minute I got home. The person I interviewed with was blown away, saying he can't remember the last time someone tried to show some etiquette in an interview. I thought that said a lot.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Agreed. It's an automatic to thank someone for something, as trivial as it may be.

But this is not trivial. You're taking time out of your work day to evaluate someone's talent and give him/her recommendations on their future. That's a pretty big favor, especially considering that you're someone who could help give that individual a fast track to employment.

It's not a red flag if they're not courteous about it, but it certainly shouldn't gain any favors, either.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It has become pretty sad that we seem extra appreciative to any editors or writers who give prospective candidates time of day, but that's pretty much what I've come to expect.

I applied for a sportswriting job with a nearby publication not two years out of school - lacking a journalism degree or major experience, to boot. The editor was kind enough to send me a letter indicating they had gone in another direction. I appreciated the gesture, and I was hired there about a year later. Good karma? It could be said that it was, but bottom line is I wanted to work for someone who remembered respect and common courtesy shouldn't be overlooked.

Know that if I had been the young one who had sent Susan some clips asking for some advice that a thank-you would have been sent in some form after receiving feedback. If someone was generous enough with their time, and kind enough as a human being to do such a critique, the LEAST I could do is send a note of appreciation. It isn't that hard. Really.

10. Xodus

Xodus Member

I always send a quick thank you note to people whom I've asked for advice. I try to only ask people who I've met or been in some contact with before, though. I generally shy away from asking random sports writers because I feel like I'd be creating extra work for a guy/girl who doesn't even know me.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree with this point as well.

I once applied for a job with an MLB team. Got back a personal 'we've gone in another direction' note that referenced my specific experience and was hand-signed, not stamped, by a director-level person. I was blown away by this response.

I really resent hiring employers who can't be bothered to even send out a massive BCC e-mail of "thanks for applying but you're not our choice." Hell, have an intern type up the e-mail addys and just cut and paste.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'll tell you a pet peeve ...

Right now editing a local story in which every other high-fallutin' graph starts "And while ... " or just starts with "And ... "

Jeezum effin' crow, be more original.

Draft saved Draft deleted