1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet health insurance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 25, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Just wondering if any of the good folks here have health insurance policies for their pets, and who you go through.

It's a long story, but I adopted two dogs who were not cared for very well at the shelter I got them from. Plus, they're older (7 and 5) and were at the shelter for a long time because everyone wants to adopt puppies. Plus, they were abandoned by their owner, so all told, they were almost completely neglected for two years.

As a result, trying to nurse them back to health has eaten up a lot in vet bills. But I keep hearing horror stories about pet insurance, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Any thoughts?
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

For almost everyone, insurance will actually cost you more than the health care you use.

For a human, you don't mind paying extra because you don't have to worry about being completely wiped out by an uncommonly high-cost incident.

For a pet? Would you put them down if they suddenly needed massively expensive health care that would ordinarily wipe you out? I guess that's up to you.

But don't go into it thinking it will save you money.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I thought the Affordable Care Act would keep cats on their owner's plan until age 5 and dogs until age 4.
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would ask your future wife. :)
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Those animals need to show some personal reponsibility.
  6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Are there Preferred Plus discounts for dogs that don't consume road kill or lick other dogs' asses?
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have ShelterCare on Winston. My cats I don't have insurance on because they're indoor only and not as big of a risk.

For Winston, it's $20.95 a month. Here's what it covers:

Totally worth it to me for the peace of mind, especially considering how much money I've spent on my house in the past two months and how I have NO savings right now.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We've been discussing this for a few months. We have 1.5 acres in the Sierra foothills. Our pointer roams out there all day while we're at work, and in the past two years she's gotten a foxtail in her nose and twice gotten a foxtail in her ear.
    However, I've gotten a lot of quotes, and we wind up losing money with the insurance.
  9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Treating canines differently than felines for purposes of length of coverage has no rational basis so is a clear violation of the Equal Protection Clause. Look for this provision to be struck down in the Supreme Court's decision.
  10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Depends. Does Justice Kennedy own a dog or does he own a cat?
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Pay special attention to items like foreign bodies ingested or foreign bodies in eye/ear/nose. Since the latter is one of my main concerns, I've been checking out those aspects of coverage.
    Several of the policies I've reviewed don't cover them well or reserve the right to change them to exempt conditions based on recurrence.
  12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Kittens are free.
Draft saved Draft deleted