1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet allergies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Well, good luck getting a dog you're not embarrassed to take for a walk. :)

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Most terrier breeds are pretty good too, though no dog is truly "hypoallergenic."

I prefer border terriers, myself. I could also be convinced to get a Norwich, thanks to "Best in Show."

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

These are pretty cool.

[​IMG]

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yep. Aerdales, Welsh, Irish, Wire Hair are all terrier breeds that are all are pretty cool but don''t shed as much.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

The obvious choice is a whippet. Quiet, minimal shedding, little exercise required, medium size - making a whippet the perfect townhouse pet. In fact, I have one I can lend you and you can return him when he quits chewing anything both within reach and valuable. My other two won't miss him at all.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I highly recommend miniature schnauzers. They're my breed of choice. Great dogs. I can confirm they're good dogs to have with allergies. My mother is allergic to dogs. She did not have many problems with the dogs aggravating her allergies. The times she did have problems is when they were dirty. We'd give them a bath and she'd be fine. If you bathe the dogs biweekly and vacuum and keep fabrics clean, you're allergies should be limited.

As a side note, the first schnauzer we had was inherited from a relative. She wanted no part of that dog. But she grew to like the breed so much that over two decades later, they (my parents) still have a schnauzer.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We went to look at schnauzers last weekend. We liked them fine and will likely consider one if my allergies become a real pain in my ass.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

#dolphinsmooth

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The allergy doctor should be a big help for you. One thing you need to find out is if your allergy is triggered by the dander or the fur. If it is the dander, getting a so-called hypoallergenic dog may not help you. Also, consider that a half hour or an hour around a dog or dogs is not nearly the same thing as having one live in your home. The greater exposure could create a much stronger reaction than you have experience to this point.

Another concern is that an allergy can worsen with more extended exposure to the allergen. I already knew I was dogs, but I had always tested negative for cats, so Mrs. OOP and I got one. After a while, my allergies began to bother me much more than usual, so I got tested again and cat turned up as positive. As it was explained to me, the allergy hadn't shown up before because I hadn't been around cats until I had one.

Good luck with it, but make sure you do your research before you commit to a dog.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Went to the allergist yesterday. Definitely need the shots. Twice a week for a few months, then once a month for roughly 82 years. Give or take.

$30/pop. Awesome.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Be careful, because allergy meds jacked up my blood pressure 30-40 points on the top number.

Draft saved Draft deleted