1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet allergies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't think my allergies are severe, but they're definitely there. For instance, when I'm around my brother's pug (usually an hour or so at a time), I'm fine. But when we went to look at schnauzers (typically good for people with allergies) the other day, I left the house with a runny nose and one sneeze. But she had about a million of those things running around. I'm hoping with just one dog, I can survive. I don't mind doing the shots and pills or whatever. I'd just rather not, obviously.

We also went to an adoption event a few weekends ago, spent maybe 30 min walking around, and showed no signs.

It's kinda hit and miss. When I was younger, it was more of an issue. Just want to nip it in the bud just in case, I guess.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Labs are cool. How about a Labradoodle? But one that doesn't look ridiculous.

3. JackReacher

Well, we live in a townhouse, so we don't have a TON of room for a big dog. We kinda like the shih tzu-poodle mixes and the schnauzer-poodle mixes. But that's going off the theory that we'll be getting a "hypoallergenic" dog.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Dude.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Well, pugs are cool because they don't take up much room, they're easy to deal with and they have big-dog attitude.

6. JackReacher

Dude. I'm also not the only one making this decision.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  7. Mr. Sunshine

Obviously. But chicks dig pugs.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My mother-in-law has a pretty bad pet allergy (she gets shots for it), so when we got a puppy a couple of years ago, we got a labradoodle. Very smart dog, doesn't shed and doesn't bother her allergies. She still has to deal with the yellow lab my wife got eight years ago, but the labradoodle is great for someone with allergies.

9. JackReacher

Ha. Not the chick I live with.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Issues with the pug-in-law?

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Take the dog, leave the chick.

12. JackReacher

She's rarely around him. Really, she's mostly worried about the health problems (breathing, I guess?). Otherwise, it's in the MEH category. Doesn't hate it, but isn't near the top of the list either.

Draft saved Draft deleted