1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Persons with albinism in Africa are being killed and their body parts harvested for ritual purposes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 6, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wait, what?

Did anyone know about this? We're worried about an American killing an African lion, and how it makes Americans look to the rest of the world.

How did I not know that Africans are killing Albinos -- based strictly on their (lack of) pigmentation -- and harvesting their body parts?

Q Thank you, Mr. President. I’m from Kenya. And I’m speaking on behalf of my brothers and sisters with albinism from Africa. As you may know, Mr. President, persons with albinism in Africa are being killed and their body parts harvested for ritual purposes. My request to you is to raise this issue with the heads of states from African countries to bring these atrocities to an end, for the benefit of for us in this room, and our brothers and sisters back in Africa. Thank you. (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, good. Thank you. Well, can I just say the notion that any African would discriminate against somebody because of the color of their skin, after what black people around the world have gone through, is crazy. (Applause.) It is infuriating and I have no patience for it.

When I was in Africa, I said there are important traditions and folkways that need to be respected -- that’s part of who each culture is, each country is. But there’s also just foolish traditions -- (applause) -- and old ways of doing business that are based in ignorance. And they need to stop. And the idea that a society would visit violence on people because of pigmentation, that's not a tradition that is worth preserving. That's tomfoolery. That's craziness. It's cruel.

Remarks by the President at the Young African Leaders Initiative Presidential Summit Town Hall | whitehouse.gov

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's those fuckers at Planned Parenthood.

3. YankeeFan

Seriously, did you even know this was a thing?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Frankly, they aren't as cute as Cecil.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You sound outraged.

7. YankeeFan

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

“Some even believe that the witchcraft ritual is more powerful if the victim screams during the amputation, so body parts are often cut from live victims, especially children,” the report said. “The use of children is likely linked to the pursuit of innocence which, it is believed, enhances the potency of the witchcraft ritual. Moreover, children are more vulnerable to attacks as they are easy to find and capture and do not have the physical strength to fend off attackers.”

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is a cruel, backwards and barbaric practice that must be stopped.

Though I might be in favor of a Vanilla Ice exemption.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

"And to you, worried about your own safety here in Chicago, it is unfair that your body parts, fully intact below the neck, should be worth .26 cents to every dollar that an intact albino is worth. I'm creating a task force to look into this and I'm having the Department of Justice investigate."

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If I could find an albino lion fetus, I could retire.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The other white meat.

Draft saved Draft deleted