1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal health insurance policy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Mar 2, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I need to take out some kind of basic health insurance policy since the post-Peace Corps insurance is pretty horrible.

I know it all depends, but I thought maybe the FT freelancers might be able to point me somewhere. I've no idea of what to look for.

Any suggestions?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Blue Cross-Blue Shield is generally the insurer of last resort in many states. You can scope out and sign up for an individual policy for your state...
    Mine's a decent plan with a $750 deductable, decent co-pay... infact, it's better than Ms. Slappy's plan and hers is BCBS through her employer

3. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

It depends on the state. In some states, there is no insurer of last resort. In some, no insurer can turn you down for a pre-existing condition.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Like F_T said, it depends on your state.
    Your state's Department of Banking & Insurance (if it has one) should have a list for the companies that issue policies in the state and their rates.
    For instance, here's a link to the main page for New Jersey:
    http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_insurance/ihcseh/index.html

I also now spend too much time watching kids' TV (Sprout, Nick Jr., PBS) and a company called Assurant Health is always running ads for their insurance on Sprout.
    http://www.assuranthealth.com/corp/ah/HealthPlans/health-plans.htm

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

www.ehealthinsurance.com

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm not sure what it means for health insurance, but I do know what it means for property insurance in Florida: It's an insurance company, run by the state or on its behalf, that has to take anyone BUT that cannot charge a premium any lower than the highest private premium available.

In Florida property insurance, it's for people for whom hurricanes mean they can't get ordinary insurance. But it's no bargain, by any means, because it is legally restricted from undercutting private insurers.

I assume it's the same concept with health insurance, though I honestly haven't seen it before in that field.

7. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Actually, insurer of last resort may also depend on the state you live in, but based on what I remember, in most states, it means that one company must provide health insurance to an individual who applies even if other insurance companies turn him or her down.

I think the variation may be on whether or not they can charge a higher premium based on risk.

8. Sam Mills 51

That it cannot turn down applicants based on health or risk status.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Is it just you individually or a family plan you need? Just wait for Obamacare. That's what I'm doing. Saving myself $100+ a month.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Would Obamacare take effect as soon as it gets passed and signed? Or could it be a year or so after passage, giving the insurance companies time to figure it all out?

11. Sam Mills 51

Need to act NOW, not later. You'd be shocked how many people think they can wait, only to have something come up which needs attention ASAP. Financial ruin quickly follows. And if what you have is life-altering, forget any private provider taking you now that you've been diagnosed. That's a pre-existing condition, and an all-too-convenient for a provider to reject you, not to mention if you don't have continuous coverage before the switch, it will be 6-12 months before new provider will help you in any way, shape or form if you need to undergo any sort of serious procedure.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if nothing takes effect until 2014 to give all sides time to adjust.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Different parts go into effect at different times. The part where middle and low income folks get a tax credit to buy insurance doesn't go into effect until 2014. In general, it seems like the benefits get better first, and then later the measures to make insurance more affordable will kick in.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB126161805062603707.html

Draft saved Draft deleted