1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal experience with abortion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Sep 1, 2008.

?

Have you had personal experience with abortion

1. Yes, I had one

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Yes, I impregnated a girl who had one

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Yes, an immediate family member had one

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No, I've never had one or made someone pregnant who had one

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  5. Had to make the choice, but decided to have the baby

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

Desk Slave and Starman: The problem with defending an indefensible position is you trap yourself. You are both advocating violence against abortion doctors for proof from pro-lifers that they are sincere. We'd prefer change through legal means in which babies are spared and no else is killed either. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're both for Obama and his mantra of change. Got a feeling he would be sickened by your suggestions, too. You are in over your heads.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Apparently, Italian_Stallion's tremendous suggestion is already going unheeded.

What is with this place today?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Solid logic. Unfortunately, it escapes many, who have axes to grind.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

How bout this side of the story...

I have a friend who got pregnant in college. She was not ready to be a mother and didn't love the guy who got her pregnant, so she had an abortion. Years later, she met the man she did love and had two kids and a very happy life. I think it's a safe bet if she'd had that first baby, neither her life nor the life of that child would have turned out as well as her current life and that of her current family.

One more thing: I think that people's opinions on the subject can change once they are actually faced with the situation, and it can go either way. I imagine there are a lot of pro-choice people who, once in the room, can't imagine aborting a fetus. And there are probably also pro-life people who can't imagine turning a teenager's life upside down FOREVER because of one mistake (an unwanted pregnancy).

I'm probably going to be sorry I entered this thread.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're right about that (not the sorry to enter the thread part). I may get flayed for citing a chick flick, but I've always thought that pro-lifers should see the movie "Dirty Dancing". The environment in 1963, where a single woman's choices were either get ostracized for having an out of wedlock baby, go to an unwed mother home, or risk her life for having an abortion on a folding table with a rusty knife is an environment I hope we never go back to.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's just hopeless, isn't it?

My only experience with this is a close friend who got a woman pregnant about 11 years ago. She initially decided to get an abortion, but she ended up having to listen to a pro-life presentation first at the clinic. Whatever they said, it worked and she decided to keep the baby, with the full support of my friend. He had been against the abortion from the start, but respected her wishes.

My friend asked her to marry him, but she declined. Her parents were supportive regarding the baby, but nearly disowned her over that decision, but it turned out for the best. My friend has a now 10-year-old daughter that serves as a permanent reminder that abortion would have been the wrong choice in this case.

BB Bobcat, you raise one of the reasons I hate debates on this issue. Both sides are so busy making speeches and judgments that they don't even bother to understand the other side.

Pro-choice does not always mean pro-abortion. My friend that I mentioned above is a perfect example of that, as am I. Just because we believe in a woman's right to choose does not mean that we believe abortion is a proper choice. Obviously, there are exceptions (such as risk to the mother's health and rape victims).

To be clear, I'm not going to tell any woman what to do with her body, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with the choices that are made.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Bobcat, your post is the exact reason this should be a matter of deep personal choice, not a bureaucratic proclamation from a bunch of politicians.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm pitching my tent in the More BJs camp.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's a lot of little SportsJournalists.commers who aren't pitter-pattering around here.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Heard someone on the radio the other day saying that there is no way the abortion laws will ever be overturned. Her logic was the republicans have had the people to do it on the courts, but they never will because it gets people out to the polls.

Kind of an interesting take.

Draft saved Draft deleted