1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal experience with abortion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Sep 1, 2008.

?

Have you had personal experience with abortion

1. Yes, I had one

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Yes, I impregnated a girl who had one

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Yes, an immediate family member had one

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No, I've never had one or made someone pregnant who had one

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  5. Had to make the choice, but decided to have the baby

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Didn't evangelicals condemn that song because it supposedly endorsed premarital sex?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Don't know. I can imagine some people being annoyed at the video if I remember it correctly.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Now that the men have had their say ....

... I faced this decision at 18. In the end the decision was taken from my hands by a spontaneous miscarriage but I've always been grateful that the decision was mine to make.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Wow, sorry to hear that HC.

Closest I came to even thinking about it was when I was 19. GF and I went without protection one time. GF was a week late. Longest week of my life.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yes, plus it was Madonna and she's a heathen.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Thanks for sharing. We never know what decision we'll make until we have to make it. I always thought when I was in college and just starting out that I would have had an abortion. I never had to make that decision. Now, I'd probably keep it, but it's better to be able to have a choice regardless of what your decision would be.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My first girlfriend and I had a scare when we were in high school. She was 16, and I was 17. We panicked for three or four days while she was late, and we did some research on Planned Parenthood and some options. Luckily, on the fourth day, she got her period. I'm quite sure she would have opted for the abortion, and I would have been OK with it. At that time, neither one of us could have handled that responsibility, and there was no thought of otherwise.

Four years later, after we split, she got pregnant by another guy -- a guy who later died of a drug overdose. And after hearing about that, she went on a 10-day drinking binge to purposely miscarry. She did, thankfully, because I'd hate to see how the kid would have been had it survived a pregnancy with her.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A sportswriter, whose name you would almost certainly recognize, told me this once: "My mom told me that she was going to get an abortion when she got pregnant with me. But the day she planned to go, it was snowing and she decided not to go out. Then, she changed her mind."

10. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

If you've had the personal experience of viewing an ultrasound, showing the life you helped create ... I can't imagine that after seeing that you could choose, or encourage someone else to choose, to abort. It's powerful.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If the fetusembryo is not a human life, why all the kvetching and hand-wringing?

And if it is, why aren't abortion clinics being burned to the ground every day on a nonstop basis?

Bottom line: neither side really believes the party line they spew.

12. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

Starman: Gotta disagree. Pro-lifers are true believers. That doesn't mean every Republican truly believes. Some pro-lifers, in fact, would be Democrats if not for abortion issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted