1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perseids meteor shower...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Aug 12, 2007.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

... anyone else going to spend a little time out in the middle of the night tonight watching the show?

We caught some of the precursors last night, including a few that created streaks in the sky that stretched from one horizon halfway to the other. Gorgeous stuff!

Show gets going pretty steady around 11 p.m., with 4 a.m. listed as the peak time. (All times local...)

If you've got the energy, treat yourself to a show tonight...

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...atperseids.htm

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I saw this online today. I figured I'd head outside around 1 or 2 a.m. No streetlights in my neighborhood, so I should be good to go. And we have a hammock. :)

3. The sky will fall.
    The earth will move.
    I love me some Perseids.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Is it appropriate, when a woman asks you to see the Perseids, to tell your friends you went to her house for a shower? Just checking...

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Won't be able to see it.

The Leafs daily fireworks extravaganza for their '67 Cup win blocks out everything in the Toronto sky.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You guys would only see about 70 percent as many meteors, anyway...

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Partly cloudy here. Just saw the Shuttle/ISS make a brief pass across the northeast sky.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The pisser about this is HC & I are going away on holidays tomorrow to a town on Lake Huron where we could have seen these showers perfectly tonight.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Still should be a decent show tomorrow night. The meteors don't turn off and on like a light switch.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That's a bad planning session, right there.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

12. We only say holiday when it's a holiday, like Christmas and Happy Divine Brown day.

Draft saved Draft deleted