1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perry Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Re: Perry Out?

When I saw Gingrich's surge in South Carolina, was wondering if we'd see a couple of the more conservative candidates drop out. Best hope for Newt is that Perry throws his support to the ex-Speaker and the ultra-conservative base, which is fractured now, turns to Newt as the anti-Romney.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Watching Perry makes you understand better why all the other Great Non-Romney Hopes sat out. You have to be fully committed and prepared to run for president. You can't run because people (and their money) tell you it's a good idea. Not that Christie, Daniels, et al, would have screwed the pooch as badly as Perry, but you have to want to be president to run for president -- and it has to be your idea.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Totally true. And, you have to be running -- at least behind the scenes -- for a couple of years prior to the commencement of the primary campaigns.

My initial reaction to the headline though was, "why is Az reporting old news?" Then I remembered Perry was still technically in the race.

His drop from frontrunner to irrelevancy was swift.

5. YankeeFan

Endorsing Newt.

Newt's not going to win the primary or the general. (And, ABC is supposedly going to blow him out of the water tonight with their interview with his ex-wife.)

While Perry doesn't have a lot of supporters, if he had endorsed Santorum, it might have helped build momentum for Santorum as the conservative alternative to Mitt.

And, if he had endorsed Mitt, it would have helped build momentum for Newt as the inevitable nominee. And it would have gained him some points with the potential future President.

Instead, his endorsement means very little. Perfect ending to a terrible campaign.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You saw that coming when he bailed - without warning - on Bob Jones University the other day.

7. YankeeFan

There's a debate tonight, right?

He probably decided he was sick of looking like an idiot, and didn't want to go through that again.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure playing nice with the future nominee would have mattered. I mean, you have to think Texas is Perry's limit. What cabinet post could you conceivably offer him? You think THIS White House worries about one of Obama's top guys *cough cough BIDEN cough* says?

Perry's political career has peaked. I'm not sure he'll even get a good pundit job. A job, sure, but not a good one like Palin or Huckabee has. Heck, he's like a bad Biden spoof, really.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's got three reasons for dropping out — poor debates, poor on-the-ground organization and ... uhhh ... ummm ... he forgot the third.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

With friends like this.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/reports-rick-perry-expected-to-end-presidential-candidacy/2012/01/19/gIQA5C3cAQ_blog.html

11. Re: Perry Out?

Perry is still on the ballot in SC but with the recent turn of events he will finish behind Herman Cain (Stephen Colbert).

The Colbert stunt could steal some votes away from Ron Paul. I wonder if this is addressed in the debate tonight?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet Perry knows the name of the football team in San Francisco...

I'll echo the good riddance sentiments...

I think Newt could win South Carolina, but while Perry's endorsement might help him, I'm guessing his second wife being on Nightline tonight isn't going to win him many fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted