1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

permission to run a photo of a famous person?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 10, 2011.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

My magazine is planning to run a picture of a guy posing with a big Hollywood star. However, we're waiting on approval from the star's publicist, for some reason.

It makes no sense to me. I don't know why we need approval to run a picture of a public figure.

This is a corporate magazine, by the way, so I suppose technically it's marketing material. Maybe that's why.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

probably depends in what way to got the photo.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

ONLY WAY I SEE 'permission' being necessary is if the pic is being used as some sort of advertisement for the mag or any product. if it's just art to go with a story, like a piece on the person the celeb is pictured with, no 'permission' is required, far as i know. sounds bizarre...

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Corporate mag is the key there. I'd imagine the famous person would have a pretty good tort if his/her image was on Jonso Corp.'s publication without permission. It's like being on a Wheaties box.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I've since found out that this picture was taken by the movie studio, not the private individual, so the studio owns the shot.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

so..... NEVER MIND.

yes?

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Yeah, makes sense now. I had assumed someone took the picture for this guy on his personal camera and it belonged to him. Apparently not.

Draft saved Draft deleted