1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perhaps they overreacted...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D.Sanchez, Jan 3, 2007.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Broken Thermometer Causes 100 to Respond to Mercury Spill

CARMEL, N.Y. (AP) - It was quite a New Year's Eve at the home of Richard Berger in Carmel - in Putnam County. Someone in the house broke a rectal thermometer and the family called 911 around 10:30 to report the small mercury spill.

Several dozen volunteers from the Carmel Fire Department responded to the house on Brookview Drive.

Fire Chief Darryl Johnson says mercury is a hazardous material that can cause stomach problems if inhaled.

Men wearing protective gear used wet sponges to clean up the puddle.

It was packaged and brought to the Carmel firehouse where the county health department will dispose of it today.

The Berger family was not hurt.

2. Kable

Kable Member

Glad they handled the situation before people seriously got hurt.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't want to know how they broke the rectal thermometer.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have someone break a rectal thermometer in your ass, and you're gonna want as many glove-wearing guys in the room as it will hold.

5. donnie23

donnie23 Member

As a college chemistry minor and one-time lab instructor, I know that you could divide the number of people who showed up by, oh, say, about 100 and get that little mercury spill under control. Hungover college freshmen filling their science requirement have a tendency to drop mercury-filled thermometers. It takes about five minutes and a minimal amount of effort to perform this cleanup.

But God bless the Carmel volunteers. There clearly was nothing to do the other night in Carmel, N.Y.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mercury is some cool shit to play with as long as you wear gloves. Looks like beads of silver water when you pour it on a desk but it isn't wet. Be careful, though. Shit will scatter into millions of tiny droplets that are next to impossible to clean up. And mercury is poisonous, of course.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was Boots there?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who do you think went diving head first into the anus to retrieve the other half of the thermometer?

"Hey, a piece of glass in a piece of ass! Giggity-giggity-giggity, all right!"

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

My dad once told me once that back then, they used to play with mercury at school.
    He followed that by saying that this generation is filled with a bunch of pussies. ::) :D

Draft saved Draft deleted