1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perhaps inane number crunching vis-a-vis Larry Wayne Jones

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, May 23, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think we all know Chipper Jones isn't going to hit .400, though I doubt any of us would have predicted he'd be at .412 on May 23. At any rate, I was curious what it would take for him to do it, and this is what I came up with:

Chipper has played 44 of the Braves’ 47 games, or 93.6 percent. At that rate he’ll finish with 152 games (his stated goal in spring training was to play in 150).

He’s averaging 3.6 at-bats per game. Over 152 games, that translates to 553 at-bats, which would require 221 hits for a .400 average. Only three switch-hitters have had that many hits (Pete Rose had 23 in 1973, Willlie Willson 230 in 1980 and Frankie Frisch had 223 in 1923), and none of them was a power hitter. Jones has 92 more career homers than the three of them combined.

In his 13 full seasons (I did not include this year or his first year, when he only played in eight games) he has averaged 145 games, which at his current pace translates to 508 ABs. To hit .400 in that scenario he’d need 203 hits (his career high was 189 in 159 games).

The way his season is going, walks aren’t really helping him. His 170 Abs account for 86 percent of his 197 plate appearances. In the 13 seasons referenced above, he’s averaged 624 plate appearances per season, for which 508 at-bats would be 81 percent. In simple terms that means he needs to walk more (I know, not earth-shattering). He’s on a pace for 82 walks if he plays 152 games or 79 if he plays 145. Let's say he plays 145 games and gets 624 plate appearances. If he walks 79 times, that means he'd need 203 hits and a combination of 37 sacrifice flies and hit-batsmen to finish at .400. His career high HBP is 4 and his career high in SF is 10.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My head hurts.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Interesting way to look at it but we are waaaaay to early in the season to start considering this seriously.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My Braves-fanboi Dad is giving me daily Larry updates. I need the guy to go 0-for-a-series and just be done with it.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Of course, every one of n_w's "on pace for" will change drastically if he has a couple of 0-for-4 or a 1-for-12 three-game series.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Alley, I agree, which is why I prefaced it the way I did. I went ahead and did it anyway because a.) not many hitters get even this deep in the season hitting .400 and b.) I guess I didn't have anything better to do.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Call me in August if he's still over .400.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He needs 502 plate appearances, right?

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Should I start looking for the Josh Hamilton Triple Crown thread and the Brandon Webb 30 Wins thread?

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

That part was painfully obvious. I join IJAG in the "my head hurts" category.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How far away is he from hitting .400? He needs almost twice as many hits as he has right now to hit .400, and that's if he reaches the minimum ABs needed.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He has 197 plate appearances ... needs 305 more, then he can shut it down.

Draft saved Draft deleted