1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perfectionism - And Letting Go

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Nov 17, 2013.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago, I finally chose to give it up. Give up trying to be perfect at work. Trying to get through each day without a flub and - when I do have a mistake - not killing myself all evening for it.

I must say... it's so much easier to get through each day, even in an unstable industry like ours. Sleep well. Enjoying each hour now. A better person to be around.

Was anyone else here had "perfectionism issues"? Did you kick it? How do you keep it from creeping up?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I previously had a business that was high-stress and particularly unforgiving to imperfect performance. I gave it up because I couldn't stomach the idea of making a single mistake.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm making a quarter of the money I used to because I quit stressing so much. I know it's a completely different kind of work I'm doing, but I think the point is to try to enjoy it so it doesn't end up killing you. I'm happier selling toys at minimum wage than I ever was as a reporter. I actually love going to work.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It became really easy to not give a shit once I realized the people for whom I was busting my ass didn't care if I lived or died, as long as they could make a buck. I was and am just a number.

5. Work to live. Don't live to work.

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Is also a bit of a perfectionist:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I just realized it wasn't worth the deleterious effects on my health. Just let go. If a mistake happens, it isn't the end of the world. Unless it's a monumental screwup. Keep your eye on the big picture and don't sweat the small details.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you expect perfection, you're going to be disappointed every single damn day of your life.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is the secret to life, at least in journalism.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

When I work with young people in our department, I always tell them it's OK if they don't know something as long as they admit it and that they will make mistakes because everyone makes mistakes.

However, when I screw something up, I beat myself up over it for days.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

"Don't worry about it. No one is reading anything you write anyways." -my first editor

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Easy for you to say.
    Most important thing I've learned to say is "I don't know" and "I need some help".
    However, still need to be perfect

Draft saved Draft deleted