1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perfection, ESPN The Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Aug 24, 2008.

1. http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=967712&jotd=1

ESPN The Magazine is seeking experienced freelance/part-time magazine fact- checkers. Only those with previous magazine checking experience (2-3 years' or more) need apply. Candidates must also have a broad, deep background in sports. The job does not entail any writing or editing or broadcast work. Please do not apply unless your background fits these requirements precisely.

The pay is based on a per-hour rate.

Please include a cover letter and resume when responding to ESPN3.DL-ESPNPubFreelance@espn3.com

Interesting job title considering the mag is crap.
  2. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I agree. I've always felt ESPN The Magazine is crap. Sadly, The Sports News has turned into ESPN The Magazine II. It's gone from weekly to every other week and isn't the magazine I've been subscribing to since the mid-1970s. The reason I originally subscribed way back when was because of its excellent baseball coverage and the fact you could find information on MLB and NFL teams, even in the offseason. I know things have changed with the internet and The Sporting News certainly wasn't going to go back to the days of listing every MLB boxscore, yet I want something more than just a lot of graphics and the Top 5 this or the Top 10 that crap that ESPN The Magazine is known for. Coming out every other week also means no more insider stuff, since all that stuff is outdated by the time subscribers receive the magazine. I know you can get that sort of stuff from the internet, but it's just not the same. The reason I subscribe to Sports Illustrated is for the feature stories. I subscribed to The Sports News for more "hardcore" fan stuff. It hurts me to say that I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription. Member so the Spinks family must be turning over in their graves.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So, writestuff, you're not applying, eh?
  4. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

Is The Sports News anything like The Sporting News?
  5. Gold

Gold Active Member

My thoughts:

How many exact matches can you get for this position? I mean, if somebody was a fact-checker for Time or Vogue, how would that be helpful to getting the facts right for a sports magazine? I'm sure the people for Time or Vogue (Maybe Vogue isn't the best example - let's say Esquire) might have a good process, but they don't have a background in sports so they couldn't do it as quickly.
  6. how does one become a fact-checker? what is the process one uses?

i see places on mediabistro and whisperjobs with freelance fact-checking positions open. i would think my copy-editing experience would help me in this regard, but it seems not.
  7. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's not about exact matches but enough matches. If you get in the interview door (not talking about ESPN specifically) then it's up to you to sell the hirer on why the areas that fall short don't matter.
  8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Exactly, you'd think a position as an editor or sports writer would be just as good, if not better.
  9. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Hey, world leader. It won't help with this job, but the word "previous" seems unnecessary. Pretty much all experience is previous.
  10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I try just as hard as the other editors!
  11. Sounds like a great gig, but do I actually have to read the crap writing?
  12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but what's your current experience?
Draft saved Draft deleted