1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perfect Cain!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jun 14, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

STOP DEFENDING ME!

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Cut down the strike zone. It's gotten so large, even I could hit it. Well, almost.

3. EStoess

EStoess Member

This is still not bickering, right?

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

If the government would let you.

But you know they won't.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I think Russell Branyan might have become a Hall of Famer if he had started his career five years later. When he started out there was still a stigma against high-strikeout players and he never got consistent playing time. He finally got a chance in 2009 with Seattle and hit 30 HRs in a partial season but he was past his peak by that point.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Stop being pissy. We don't battle no more. Didn't you get the memo?

This subject was more fun on the running baseball thread.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I much prefer watching pitchers duels as opposed to high-scoring games. I've actually become more of a fan in recent years for that reason.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This Thread: Hall of Fame?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Aren't you the one who bitches about the length of games?

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Worked for Reagan.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But I don't think the strikeouts are the result of pitchers' duels. I think that a big reason is bullpen specialization. If you're anything like me, the love of a good pitchers' duel kind of gets deflated once the parade of relievers begins.

If it's Justin Verlander and Clayton Kershaw trading K-for-K, that's one thing.

When it's 13 pitchers on two teams combining for 29 strikeouts ... not exactly the same, no?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well if we're talking about regular games, then I want 13-12 every day. I'm not a baseball purist. But if we're talking about which way to a perfect game or no-hitter is preferable, I will always choose individual dominance (strikeouts) since the pitcher gets the credit for the accomplishment.

Draft saved Draft deleted