1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perfect Cain!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Happened to me on the Weaver no-hitter.

I'm surprised someone would get chippy about a stand-alone no-hitter thread. At that point, running threads have jumped the shark.

I recall how gingerly I posted a thread about Derrick Rose's ACL tear, bracing for the backlash.

If I had started this one, Moddy would have already locked it.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have watched the play at least a dozen times, and more than the catch, I will never be able to figure out why Blanco was stationed there in the first place. You can kind of see it on the video, but on the telecast last night they showed the pre-pitch view and it is staggering how much space he was giving up in right field. As fast as Blanco is, a routine flyball 15 feet from the line still probably would have dropped.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You had me.

You had me.

You lost me.

4. Dick Whitman

I'm kidding. Goes back to the Hamilton thread.

I get how tight the crew is, but, man, you guys don't have to jump to each other's defense every single thread. Everyone's a grown-up here.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I resent being thought of as a grown up.

6. Dick Whitman

OK, I take that last sentence back. :)

7. EStoess

EStoess Member

I will also never forget being a little hung over and a lot lazy, and passing on tickets for that the game because the drive in from the Poconos was too far. Sorry to interrupt the bickering. (Never used the quote function, in my years of posting, so also sorry if I screwed this up)

8. Dick Whitman

No bickering. I don't bicker any more. Place is 100 times more enjoyable since I stopped battling people. Moddy makes jokes about how no one is allowed to talk about the Nationals. I made a joke about him locking my Josh Hamilton thread. IJAG got chippy about it because she is a loyal person who stands up for her friends on here, but didn't necessarily need to here.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Anyone else think MLB should try to do something to cut down on the number of strikeouts? I think we're going to see more and more perfect games as strikeout totals go up and up. I have followed baseball since the 1990s and 100 strikeouts in a season used to be considered a lot...here it is 2012 and Adam Dunn might strike out 300 times.

10. Dick Whitman

I don't know what you can do. A lot of it has to do with the bullpen specialization now. I don't love it, either, but there is empirical evidence - loads of it - that shows that it really doesn't hurt team offense.

11. EStoess

EStoess Member

That may be more a credit to Adam Dunn.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Yes but what style of play would fans rather watch? Hitters that can put the ball into play or strikeout machines? And I disagree that it doesn't hurt offense, scoring has gone down the last few years as Ks have gone up.

Draft saved Draft deleted